The Sword and Laser discussion

A Memory of Light (The Wheel of Time, #14)
This topic is about A Memory of Light
Scifi / Fantasy News > AMOL Prologue now available for pre-order

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (last edited Sep 13, 2012 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Thought I would let everybody know that the complete prologue for A Memory of Light is now available fro pre-order as an e-book. It looks like it is going to be released on Oct 2nd. While I have never done these types of "buy the prologue early" deals I am seriously considering it for this book. I know its a gimick but sue me. I am really excited about the release of this final installment of WOT.

whoops I forgot to add the link: here yah go

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/09/prol...

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6786 comments Mod
I debated it, then decided not to. I've waited this long. I can wait a few more months. Plus reading the prologue early will just make me more anxious.

terpkristin | 4144 comments Rob wrote: "I debated it, then decided not to. I've waited this long. I can wait a few more months. Plus reading the prologue early will just make me more anxious."

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I read the excerpt they offered not too long ago and only got annoyed that it ended. I think I'll just wait. I've got
The Way of Kings to tide me over. :)

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm never going to stop being mad that they started charging for the Prologue.

message 5: by Rik (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rik | 777 comments I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer without paying for the prologue.

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Darren wrote: "Agreed. Never happened when Jordan was alive."

Odd, I remember a huge shitstorm on rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan when RJ announced that we'd have to pay for the prologue to Winter's Heart. Leigh Butler agrees:

Previous to the release of Winter’s Heart, it had been Tor’s tradition to post the prologue of the upcoming WOT book online as a free preview. “Snow,” by contrast, was the first of the WOT Prologues to be sold as an e-book instead. Which, naturally, completely outraged the fanbase. And I was initially going to be derisive about that, but some poking around in Ancient Internet History brought me the surprising information (even though I obviously must have known it at the time) that upon initial release, “Snow” was being sold for $5.00 a pop.

Whoa.

Not to put too fine a point on it, that’s bonkers. Even for a monster of a prologue like this one, the sheer length of which (amounting to 10% of the entire novel, if I’m not mistaken) leads me to suspect was part of the reasoning behind the decision to start charging for the prologues rather than releasing them for free in the first place. It’s even wackier when you consider that full-length novel ebooks are being sold nowadays for an average of about seven to nine dollars, give or take. So, perhaps the outrage was not all that misplaced, at that.

But in defense of… whoever made this decision (and it was probably not Tor, as the rights had been sold to Simon & Schuster), the commercial ebook Thing was a brand spanking new concept back in 2000, and like any emerging market there was initially an enormous amount of debate/controversy/bitchslap fights over how much it should cost the consumer.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6786 comments Mod
I'm not upset by them charging for it, but then I wasn't reading it back in the days when the prologue was posted for free.

I just don't think it's worth paying for, when I'm buying the book in a few months.

I would be curious to see how many sales of the prologue they get though.

Kevin | 701 comments Meh, people can charge for anything they like. I'm just glad I'm not crazy enough to actually pay for it. (I mean really? Paying for a part of a book that you will pay for AGAIN when you get the whole thing? Maybe if they discounted the price of the prologue of the complete book for people who get both ...)

But since this isn't the first time they're doing it, my guess is that there are plenty of people who feel otherwise.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments terpkristin wrote: "Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I read the excerpt they offered not too long ago and only got annoyed that it ended. I think I'll just wait. I've got
The Way of Kings to tide me over. :) ..."

But after The Way of Kings you will be wanting Sanderson get on with Vol 2 of the series:)

Interestingly there is a quote that comes up numerous times in The Way of Kings that seems very appropriate to Sanderson writing the final book of WOT.

"Journey before destination."

message 10: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack (wineontheveldt) Who else was "stupid" enough to pay for this? Well worth the $3 imho!