What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Silverhorse (Katriona,  #1-2)
This topic is about Silverhorse
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fantasy novel about a lower class girl who struggles in a school for messengers - involves wild horses [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tobiume (last edited Sep 13, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Tobiume | 10 comments I read this book about two years ago, and I think that the second book in the series was about to be published in America for the first time. I could be wrong, but I think the book was originally published in another country, maybe a Scandinavian country? But I'm not sure about that at all.

The book is about a girl who is poor and somewhat uncivilized. She is taken from her home and brought to a sort of academy that trains young people to be spies/messengers or something like that. Part of their training is to tame a wild, savage kind of horse (might be horses, winged horses, unicorns... I just remember they were equine). The girl makes some friends but she is largely bullied by the richer, snobbier students and at one point is expelled from the school, but is allowed to return. She is able to tame a horse as a bet/dare that no one thought she could? I think if they go into the horses' field to attempt to tame one, death is a very real risk.

It is in a historical type of fantasy setting. I remember the book was hardcover and pretty thick, maybe with larger text.

The title of the second book, I'm pretty sure, was the name of the horse that the girl tamed!

Thanks!

message 2: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments I haven't read it yet, so I can't be sure, but it's on my TBR pile and sounds sorta maybe like what you've described: Airs Beneath the Moon Airs Beneath the Moon by Toby Bishop . Also kinda just vaguely reminds me of Mercedes Lackey's Arrows trilogy starting with Arrows of the Queen Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) by Mercedes Lackey , but those are older books that have been out for a long time, so it's probably not that. :)

message 4: by Tobiume (new)

Tobiume | 10 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Its Silverhorse"
It is! Thank you so much. Sorry for the late reply. :/