Book Junkies discussion

Book Discussions > Fast Reader or Slow?

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nirmal (new)

Nirmal | 7 comments I'm Slow reader.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Fast, but when I get into a book I really really like, I slow down.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (seaayre) | 40 comments It depends on the book. Some are fast reads. Some need more savoring. :)

message 4: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Like Karen, to me it depends on the book... Some books I can speed right through and other books I have to read slowly to make sure I don't miss anything.

message 5: by NayNay (new)

NayNay I am a fast reader, I read a book or two a day.

message 6: by Kimmel (new)

Kimmel Ciel | 12 comments I think generally some books are easier to read than others, so we can't really decide just by how long we finish a book. That being said, I think I have average reading speed, but I have this habit where I keep going back and reread parts that I really like when I'm reading a book. So the better the book is, the longer it would take for me to finish it, not because I would slow down my reading but because I keep going back to reread more parts.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Everyone in my family is a fast reader, but me; I deliberately read slow, to savor the words. :D

message 8: by Dale (last edited Sep 12, 2012 10:34AM) (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I think I'm in the middle somewhere. Not slow, but not a speed reader either. It takes me several days to read a book if it's good. If it's not so good, more than week, usually because I keep putting it down.

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 76 comments I typically take a while to read books I don't like. But, when I'm reading I get through the pages quickly, my problem is that I avoid the book if I dislike it. For example, I Am Number Four took me over two months because of my dislike of it.

message 10: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Wow, really? You didn't like I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore ? I really liked that book! I read it in a couple of days. Though you know what they say: not every person is going to like every book.

message 11: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 76 comments Exactly. I got smacked for diskliking it by two of my friends and my cousin who had only watched the movie. But, it's mainly what I did to the book. It's not my fault if I get bored and wanted to light something on fire. That was just the first thing I found.

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 28 comments I'm a fast reader. I've never had a problem finishing a book in a day if I wanted to and had the free time to do it.

I read slower when a book is really meaty or when I love it so much that I want to savor it.

message 13: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Oh, I can't slowly savor a good book! The better the book the faster I read...

And Sophia...you naughty kitty! LOL

message 14: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) Dale wrote: "Wow, really? You didn't like I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore? I really liked that book! I read it in a couple of days. Though you know what they say: not every person is going to like every book."

Is the movie for that book good?

message 15: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) Martha wrote: "Dale wrote: "Oh, I can't slowly savor a good book! The better the book the faster I read...

And Sophia...you naughty kitty! LOL"

Same here Dale! The more I like it the faster I read!"

Ditto!=)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, slow haha!

message 17: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) I hate wen I lose my page in a book! right at the good part too!=)

message 18: by Ansareen (last edited Oct 07, 2012 08:06PM) (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) Martha wrote: "bookmarks?"

they're annoying. plus i lose them!=)

message 19: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson I am a pretty fast reader, especially if the book really has my attention.

message 20: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) Martha wrote: "Ansareen wrote: "Martha wrote: "bookmarks?"

they're annoying. plus i lose them!=)"

that sucks. I'm currently using a film strip as a bookmark. Hah when the book starts to lag I star at the strip."

=)
yeah, plus wenever I have a bookmark it gets all wrinkely.=/

message 21: by Ellese (new)

Ellese (faithfulumbrella) | 54 comments It depends on your definition. I can finish a book in hours or days. If you mean lines wise? I think I read roughly, a page a minute. It is really hard for me to concentrate on reading sometimes so it depends (oh darn you ADHD).

If it is a scientific/historical book, magazine, article or something else than it takes me much longer to read (accompanied with total silence, a highlighter, and a page to take notes on).

Overall, I would surmise that I am a faster reader than the ley person.

message 22: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I think I'm average...I have friends who are really slow readers, so compared to them I'm fast...but compared to fast readers I'm slow. If that makes sense.

message 23: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) =)

message 24: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Depends on the book and the spare time I've got. Sometimes in a day I can go on reading non-stop for 6-7hrs if I don't have an urgent task or anything. (well, I'm actually interrupted by my stomach and bladder sometimes). And the plot of course, have a big impact on how fast I could finish.

message 25: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) What is annoying is when you're really into a book, and when I'm really into a book I read *fast*, and things like hungry children, dirty dishes, whining pets, and angry bosses simply intrude on your fantasy world. Bah humbug!

This happened to me last week end when I was absolutely gobbling up The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld). Too delicious to put down!

message 26: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mellydking) | 2 comments It really depends on the book. If it is a good one I tend to read fast. If it ends up being one I am not to crazy about I end up reading slow.

message 27: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Same here.

message 28: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) You got it, girl!

message 29: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Seriously. I'm almost finished with Finale (hush hush #4). And I read the first half slow, which means it was ok but not mind-boggling. I'm reading the 2nd half fast, and pissed that I had to stop to go to work! LOL

message 30: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Dale wrote: "What is annoying is when you're really into a book, and when I'm really into a book I read *fast*, and things like hungry children, dirty dishes, whining pets, and angry bosses simply intrude on yo..."

Right! I'm the errand girl in the family. It sucks big time when my mom would have to call me to do something for her. As a way to get away from her, I hide on our roof. (sadly, she knew it now)

:(

message 31: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Doh! Our house is so small, there's no where to hide. Unfortunately.

message 32: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "I have no where to hide!"

Dale wrote: "Doh! Our house is so small, there's no where to hide. Unfortunately."

Ditto. She (my mom) always knew where to find me now! The only refuge is to sneak out of the house and go to the nearest mall. :)

message 33: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I read on the bus. A lot. But I only work in the office 2 days a week and work at home the rest of the week. I'm a hermit by nature so don't often go outside the house to read. :)

message 34: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "To read? I don't think I could do that. I'd want to go shopping or I'd watch people go by. My refuge is the library. less than 5 mins from my house and they can't leave work to come get me so they have to call me. muahahahaha ..."

Yes, I have a favorite spot in a coffee shop where I frequently stop by. I can read there. I'm not really into shopping so going to the mall doesn't bother me. Well, we do have the city library but its only open Mon-Fri and until 5 in the afternoon. Besides, i would always encounter noisy high-school students in there and the librarian DOESN'T even care about the noise! 0_o

Dale wrote: "I read on the bus. A lot. But I only work in the office 2 days a week and work at home the rest of the week. I'm a hermit by nature so don't often go outside the house to read. :)"

I don't read while riding a car or bus. I tried it before, I just end up experiencing vertigo and I can't concentrate.

message 35: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "Oh my goodness yes! My library is always so noisy and it gets on my nerves! Annoying kids! ..."

IKR. Especially those who just go there to chat. Hey, you're in the library to read or write not to talk about your guy crushes or other girl stuff. And one thing that irks me also is teenage couple inside the library. They are very very distracting. o_0

message 36: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "Oh my goodness yes! My library is always so noisy and it gets on my nerves! Annoying kids! ..."

IKR. Especially those who just go there to chat. Hey, you're in the library to read ..."

That's so weird 'cuz my lib. is the exact opposite, u walk in there and there's dead silence.
=)

message 37: by Christy (new)

Christy | 2 comments I'm a fast reader but like to go back and reread sentences that get my attention.

message 38: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "
I've told them to leave. It's probably mean but it's a library not a movie theater!"

I can't bear to say such things. I'll probably tell them to lower their voices but telling people to leave? Nada! I might probably be the one to walk out of there.

Ansareen wrote: "That's so weird 'cuz my lib. is the exact opposite, u walk in there and there's dead silence.
=) ..."

Good for you. The library we had here is just too small. Unlike the one I went to when I was studying. Had to move out and go to a different place. And now I'm stuck in visiting a cramped and noisy library. :(

message 39: by Noodles (new)

Noodles (noodlefox) | 12 comments I think I'm a pretty slow reader by anyone's standards. My ADD makes it rather difficult to stay focused on a book for to long without having to put it down and do something else for a few minutes. Even books I'm really into. It sucks cause I'll have this horrible urge to just sit down and read, but something in my brain won't let me.

I actually find it easier to read in public places. I guess all the action going on around me is enough of a distraction that I can stay focused on my book without having to put it down and do something else. If that makes any sense at all...

message 40: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 76 comments Dale wrote: "Oh, I can't slowly savor a good book! The better the book the faster I read...

And Sophia...you naughty kitty! LOL"

I'm only naughty some of the time.

But regarding my reading speed, there are many factors which impact it, primarily my feelings about the book. If I hate a book especially if it is due to terrible prose, I read the pages fast because I skim. But I read the book slow because I'll usually avoid books I hate. If I'm indifferent, I usually read pretty fast because I won't avoid it and I'll read at a regular speed. But if I love the book, such as Daughter of Smoke & Bone I will read the pages slowly and read as often as time will allow without interruption.

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane Westin | 30 comments I am a lot like Dale. If the book is rather boring I will skim a lot until I get to an interest place. I really not slow or fast, probably moderate. I can usually read a book a week, once in a while if I have more time two a week. I love to read some books more than once or twice.

message 42: by Wayne (new)

Wayne McNeill (waynemcneill) | 11 comments Good question. If it's a book I already love I read it slowly. Why hurry if you already know it? But you can reread it again and again. As for new books, I'm not as patient as I used to be. If a book doesn't grab me by the second chapter I throw it out the window.

message 43: by Wayne (new)

Wayne McNeill (waynemcneill) | 11 comments Hmm...

message 44: by Alyssa (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:42PM) (new)

Alyssa Mae | 20 comments I consider myself a fast reader too. I can finish 2-3 books in one day depending on how engrossed I am with the story. :)

message 45: by LiteraryCat (new)

LiteraryCat | 4 comments I thought I was a slow reader but my boyfriend says I read fast. We tried reading a book together and I finished it within a day and he got through 4 chapters (granted he doesn't have much time to read). bit I devour books

message 46: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoew2000) | 6 comments FAST

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 46 comments Most books are fast reads for me.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Depends on the book. If I really like it, I am a very fast reader. If it takes awhile to get into, then I am slow. Compared to my mother, I am REALLY slow, but next to y husband, I am a speed demon. ;)