The History Book Club discussion

Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
This topic is about Thomas Jefferson
PRESIDENTIAL SERIES > INTRODUCTION: THOMAS JEFFERSON: THE ART OF POWER BY JON MEACHAM (SPOILER THREAD)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 291) (291 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 12, 2012 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 37566 comments Mod
Group Members of the History Book Club,

One of our relationships with Random House has allowed us to offer our group members who reside in the United States free advance copies of the following book:

Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by Jon Meacham Jon MeachamJon Meacham

We will have a special spotlighted discussion of this book beginning November 19th when the book is available to all. Selected group members will receive an advanced reading copy.

We are also trying to arrange a Q&A with the author if at all possible.

So for those of you who are interested in not only acquiring this book at no charge alongwith free shipping paid for by Random House, please post here when I open this thread and let me know of your interest. Also, once I have opened this thread, send me via PM the following: 1) your full name, 2) your complete mailing address so that I can place you on the list so that you can be considered to get your advance copy. You must also: 3) post that you will abide by the terms and conditions of this offer. That acknowledgement MUST be posted on this thread to be considered. I will release the list of the lucky recipients who are committed to reading and discussing this fine book with us (and hopefully the author) and doing a review of the book itself.

We are being allowed 50 copies and they are only going to be available to History Book Club members from the United States who will also commit to reading the book, discussing it with us and the author (if available) as well as writing a review. If you do not plan on doing the above or abiding by these t's and c's, let somebody else get a chance of a free copy of this great book.

This is a great opportunity so we hope you take advantage of this and let me know of your interest.

Also send me a PM or post here if you are unable to reach me for any reason and I will contact you and tell you my History Book Club email address. But remember only do this if I have opened the thread to begin the selection process.

This will be a great opportunity for our group members.

All Best,

Bentley

Note: This time we will be receiving the ARC. The book will be available in bookstores and on line on November 13th.

Author: Jon Meacham

Jon MeachamJon Meacham

About the Author:

Jon Meacham is the author of the Pulitzer Prize–winning American Lion and an executive editor at Random House, where he also runs The Conversation Online, a site devoted to current affairs and relevant books. Meacham is also an editor-at-large of WNET Public Media, New York's PBS station, and the former editor of Newsweek. His next book, Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power, will be published in November 2012.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/contributor/jon...

Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by Jon Meacham Jon MeachamJon Meacham

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 11, 2012 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Synopsis:

"Philosophers think; politicians maneuver. Jefferson's genius was that he was both and could do both, often simultaneously."

In this magnificent biography, the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of American Lion and Franklin and Winston brings vividly to life an extraordinary man and his remarkable times. Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power gives us Jefferson the politician and president, a great and complex human being forever engaged in the wars of his era. Philosophers think; politicians maneuver. Jefferson’s genius was that he was both and could do both, often simultaneously. Such is the art of power.

Thomas Jefferson hated confrontation, and yet his understanding of power and of human nature enabled him to move men and to marshal ideas, to learn from his mistakes, and to prevail. Passionate about many things—women, his family, books, science, architecture, gardens, friends, Monticello, and Paris—Jefferson loved America most, and he strove over and over again, despite fierce opposition, to realize his vision: the creation, survival, and success of popular government in America. Jon Meacham lets us see Jefferson’s world as Jefferson himself saw it, and to appreciate how Jefferson found the means to endure and win in the face of rife partisan division, economic uncertainty, and external threat. Drawing on archives in the United States, England, and France, as well as unpublished Jefferson presidential papers, Meacham presents Jefferson as the most successful political leader of the early republic, and perhaps in all of American history.

The father of the ideal of individual liberty, of the Louisiana Purchase, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, and of the settling of the West, Jefferson recognized that the genius of humanity—and the genius of the new nation—lay in the possibility of progress, of discovering the undiscovered and seeking the unknown. From the writing of the Declaration of Independence to elegant dinners in Paris and in the President’s House; from political maneuverings in the boardinghouses and legislative halls of Philadelphia and New York to the infant capital on the Potomac; from his complicated life at Monticello, his breathtaking house and plantation in Virginia, to the creation of the University of Virginia, Jefferson was central to the age. Here too is the personal Jefferson, a man of appetite, sensuality, and passion.

The Jefferson story resonates today not least because he led his nation through ferocious partisanship and cultural warfare amid economic change and external threats, and also because he embodies an eternal drama, the struggle of the leadership of a nation to achieve greatness in a difficult and confounding world.

American Lion Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham Jon MeachamJon Meacham

Franklin and Winston An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham Jon MeachamJon Meacham

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Advance Praise for Book:

Advance praise for Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power

“Jon Meacham resolves the bundle of contradictions that was Thomas Jefferson by probing his love of progress and thirst for power. This is a thrilling and affecting portrait of our first philosopher-politician.”—Stacy Schiff

“This terrific book allows us to see the political genius of Thomas Jefferson better than we have ever seen it before. In these endlessly fascinating pages, Jefferson emerges with such vitality that it seems as if he might still be alive today.”—Doris Kearns Goodwin

“Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power is a true triumph, a brilliant biography. Jon Meacham shows how Jefferson’s deft ability to compromise and improvise made him a transformational leader. We think of Jefferson as the embodiment of noble ideals, as he was, but Meacham shows that he was a practical politician more than a moral theorist. The result is a fascinating look at how Jefferson wielded his driving desire for power and control.”— Walter Isaacson

“This is probably the best single-volume biography of Jefferson ever written.”— Gordon S. Wood

“Jon Meacham understands Thomas Jefferson. With thorough and up-to-date research, elegant writing, deep insight, and an open mind, he brings Jefferson, the most talented politician of his generation—and one of the most talented in our nation’s history—into full view. This is an extraordinary work.”—Annette Gordon-Reed

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Books by Jon Meacham:

American Gospel God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation by Jon Meacham Voices in Our Blood America's Best on the Civil Rights Movement by Jon Meacham Franklin and Winston An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham American Lion Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham Beyond Bin Laden America and the Future of Terror by Jon Meacham Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by Jon Meacham -- all by Jon MeachamJon Meacham

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

UPCOMING EVENTS WITH THE AUTHOR:

11/13/2012 Park Ave Armory
643 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10065
6:30 pm
Confirmed

11/13/2012 Jon Meacham in conversation with Katie Couric at BN Union Square
33 EAST 17TH STREET
NEW YORK, NY 10003
7:00 PM
Confirmed

11/16/2012 JFK Library

Boston, MA

Confirmed

11/17/2012 Galloway Ridge Retirement Community

Pittsboro, NC

Confirmed

11/18/2012 New York Historical Society

New York, NY

Confirmed

11/18/2012 Highland Park United Methodist Church

Dallas, TX

Confirmed

11/19/2012 Carter Library

Atlanta, GA

Confirmed

11/20/2012

, TN

Confirmed

11/26/2012 UCSB Arts & Lectures at Campbell Hall
552 University Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
8:00 pm
Confirmed

11/27/2012

Santa Barbara, CA

Confirmed

11/27/2012 Jon Meacham in conversation with Bill Maher at the Mark Taper Forum
Central Library, 630 W. 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
7:15 PM
Confirmed

11/27/2012 Los Angeles Public Library

Los Angeles, CA

Confirmed

11/28/2012

Seattle, WA

Confirmed

11/30/2012 Dominican University with Book Passage
Angelico Hall, 50 Acacia Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
7:00 PM
Confirmed

11/30/2012 RAKESTRAW BOOKS
522 Hartz Avenue
Danville, CA 94526
12:00 PM
Confirmed

12/4/2012 Free Library of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, PA 19103

Confirmed

12/5/2012

Saint Louis, MO

Confirmed

12/5/2012

Saint Louis, MO

Confirmed

12/9/2012

New York, NY

Confirmed

12/11/2012 LEMURIA BOOKS
202 Banner Hall 4465 I-55 N.
Jackson, MS 39206

Confirmed

12/12/2012 SQUARE BOOKS
160 Courthouse Square
Oxford, MS 38655

Confirmed

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

REQUIREMENTS FOR SELECTION PROCESS:

Folks remember to do ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TO BE CONSIDERED:

1) Post on this introduction thread that you will abide by the t's and c's (namely reading and discussing the book with us and posting your comments as you read, if the author is available - you also agree to post questions that you have on the Q&A thread, you agree to post a brief review on the Final Comments and Book as a Whole thread when we are done with the discussion).

2) Once you have posted the above, then send me a PM with your full name, your full address and the fact that you have posted your interest on the thread and agreement to the t's and c's.

3) Once you post on the thread, I will contact you with a friend invite so that you can send me a PM with the required information.

4) Once the above is completed, the selection process will begin and 45 additional group members will be selected. Remember that we always get more interested parties than the number of available books so we have a selection process in place.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 11, 2012 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is the selection criteria we will use - it will always be the same for all books or any offer and this has been the criteria for all of the past four book offers and will be the criteria for all book offers to come:

The selection criteria is based upon the following:

1. Participation: Has this individual ever participated in any discussion previously? If they did receive a free book offer, did they read and participate in the previous discussion: in other words did they read, post, discuss, participate in the Q&A with the author, write a review) or did they just ask for the book and disappear? Did they ever contact the head mod and indicate why they had not followed t's & c's (medical problem, computer issue for example). We are very lenient about this category but we do look at this aspect of membership.

2, Geographical Distribution: We try to get folks from all across the United States and each region as part of the group receiving the book.

3. Rules and Guidelines: We try to check whether the member ever followed the rules and guidelines and introduced themselves or bothered to add the citations properly according to the group's rules.

4. Camaraderie: Is the group member selected going to be civil, respectful and non inflammatory?

5. Response: This is an area which unfortunately we do not have any control over; but if the requestor asks for a book and then does not get back to the Head Mod and doesn't provide the full information for the mailing list; then there is not much we can do. Also, when we alert folks that the books are coming and have been mailed, we want to make sure that everyone receives their book; we ask that folks as soon as they get their book or by the end of that day, to just post as much on the intro thread or post a PM acknowledging such receipt. We do not want to have to chase folks down to see if the book was lost in the mail and/or they need a replacement. We will send a PM and post a note on the profile (which we will delete) when we get a response but this takes time and we frankly do not want to have to do this when the requestors are the ones who are receiving a free book with free shipping. A very prompt response to us is the least that can be done.

6. Giving everybody a chance: We try to be fair and equitable and give everyone a chance at receiving a book. We try to give newbies and veterans alike a chance and a level playing field. If you have received a book before, we try to give others a chance too.

And finally I am posting the rules and guidelines, orientation and Mechanics of the Board links for anyone who is not familiar with them. Every group has their rules and guidelines and we want to make sure that you are aware of ours. If these are not palatable to you and that is possible, then send me a note and I will consider someone else for the free book. There is a pop up menu which comes up before folks post for the first time but sometimes I think folks do not read them.

Rules and Guidelines:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Orientation:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Mechanics of the Board (how to cite books and authors)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

If you need any help all of the assisting moderators will work tirelessly and patiently and in a friendly manner to get you up to speed and we realize that this takes time.

But on the other hand, please be advised that though we are patient that the rules and guidelines are not optional either. But we will work with all newbies to get everyone off on the right foot.

REMEMBER TO FOLLOW ALL REQUIREMENTS DETAILED IN MESSAGE 7

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Selection Process has begun. The thread is open. Make sure to follow all requirements spelled out in message 7 to be considered for the selection process. There are 45 additional books available.

Let us know of your interest in being considered. Good luck.

Scriptor Ignotus | 6 comments Logged in at just the right time, it seems. I am definitely interested in getting a copy, and I agree with the terms and conditions.

Tomerobber | 334 comments Thanks, I tried to post a comment but the link didn't work but now it does. I have read all the requirements and agree to abide with the rules for participation in this discussion and would be interested in being considered to receive one of the ARC copies of the book THOMAS JEFFERSON the Art of Power. Thanks

message 11: by G (new) - rated it 4 stars

G Hodges (GLH1) | 901 comments Hello
I am interested in participating in the discussion of this book, having read Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship and enjoyed it. I agree to the terms and conditions of the discussion.

Franklin and Winston An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham by Jon Meacham Jon Meacham

message 12: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (Kathy_H) I have had this book on my TBR list since I heard it was coming out. I would love to be a part of this book offer and agree to abide by all the Ts and Cs.

message 13: by Mark (last edited Sep 11, 2012 08:28PM) (new)

Mark | 14 comments I am very much interested in receiving a copy of Meacham's The Art of Power and discussing it with everyone here at the History Book Club. I absolutely agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the discussion.

message 14: by Vivien (new)

Vivien | 10 comments I am EXTREMELY interested and will abide by the t's and c's. I am so excited about this!!! It's my first time doing this, but I promise to be a contributor of value!

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (K1NGSLAYER) | 3 comments I'm new to Goodreads, and I must say it is a pleasure to be included with a bunch of fellow History nuts. I would love to be included in this offer and promise to abide by both the terms and conditions.

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Thiele (Greg1863) | 18 comments I would like to be considered for the group. I agree to abide by all terms and conditions.

message 17: by T.D (new)

T.D (TLivro) | 2 comments I am fairly new to this site and still learning the ins and outs. Slow, I guess. I would VERY MUCH LOVE a copy of this book. I am reading a lot of material regarding the founders of this country and can't seem to ever get enough. I would love to be considered. Thank You!

message 18: by Al (new)

Al Sumrall (OldHoodoo) | 3 comments I would like to be considered for the group. I agree to abide by all terms and conditions as stated in Message 7 and will review.

message 19: by O'Rissa (new) - added it

O'Rissa (o-rissa) | 3 comments I would SO like to be included in this discussion. I agree to the TnCs. Jefferson was, by far, one of the most interesting people to have ever walked this earth.

message 20: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris (DivasOnPeruse) | 3 comments Pls consider me for a free copy of Jon Meacham's new book. I agree to all the rules of engagement as a selected participant. Thank you. -Iris.

message 21: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris (DivasOnPeruse) | 3 comments Pls consider me for a freecopy of Jon Meacham's new book- Thomas Jefferson: Art of Power. I agree to all the t's and c's as a selected participant.

Peter Flom I am interested in this book. I will abide by the T and C.

message 23: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Codington | 291 comments Thanks so much for offer. I would like participate in this book and will abide by the Ts and Cs.

Lewis Codington

message 24: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian (BrianJ48) | 57 comments Bentley-
I would like to participate. I understand and agree to T&Cs. Thanks.

message 25: by Debi (last edited Sep 12, 2012 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debi (celticsky) | 13 comments I would very much like to participate. I will abide by the Ts and Cs.

Since I'm new to this, I need to ask what a PM is.

Thanks

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 15 comments I would love to read thisnew book and participate! I have read and agree to abide by the T&C's. Thanks!

Cliff Davis | 8 comments Bentley wrote: "The Meacham list so far is:

The following moderators will be participating and assisting with the discussion. Bryan will be the lead assisting moderator for this upcoming discussion.

1. Bentley
..."

I have several great books about Jefferson in the process of being read, I've been to Monticello twice, I promise to abide by the T's and C's and I would love to read this book. Thank you!

message 28: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Verdin | 2 comments Debi wrote: "I would very much like to participate. I will abide by the Ts and Cs.

Thanks"

PM stands for private message. You can send someone a message by going to their profile page (click on their name or photo icon) and once there click on the link that says send message near the top of the page. As far as sending Bentley a PM that's a little hard because his profile is private and the ability to send him a message is not available. Add him as a friend and then PM him?

message 29: by J C (new) - added it

J C (jmooby) | 4 comments I would love the privilege to participate with you. I agree to all terms and conditions!

message 30: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad (NYMetsNo1) | 5 comments I would love to participate. I will abide by the terms and conditions of this offer.

Bryan Craig Karla wrote: "Debi wrote: "I would very much like to participate. I will abide by the Ts and Cs.

Thanks"

PM stands for private message. You can send someone..."

That is correct, Karla, you have to add him as a friend to send him a message.

David (nusandman) | 111 comments I would be interested in receiving and reading this book and will abide by the terms and conditions of this offer. Really enjoyed the previous FBI read and discussion.

Thanks,

Dave

message 33: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Mego (willmego) I would LOVE to participate in any and all activities related to this book, I watch the author when he appears on TV as well, including yesterday morning on MSNBC.

I have also read and understand and agree to abide by all terms and conditions of this offer!

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason (hodown94) | 9 comments Very interested in the book and discussion, as well as the terms and conditions.

Chris | 10 comments I enjoyed Franklin & Winston and would like to participate. I agree to the terms & conditions. I have put Nov 27 on my calendar to attend the author's talk at the Los Angeles Public Library.

Bryan Craig I hope to go to his talk at Monticello on Nov. 11.

Sherry (directorsherry) | 129 comments I am very interested in receiving a book, reading and discussing the book with others. I will gladly post comments as I read and agree to post questions I may have with the author. I also will write a review on the Final Comments when the discussion is over. I am new to this site and eager to get involved.

message 38: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1 comments I would love to participate. I will abide by the terms and conditions of this offer.

Craig (Twinstuff) I would also greatly appreciate the opportunity to receive and discuss Mr. Meachum's latest book on Thomas Jefferson. I've read one of his books and he is a great historian and biographer. Anxious to see what new information he is able to share on Jefferson.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 8 comments Thank you so much. I also would be very interested in participating. I will abide the T's and C's to a T. Thank you for this opportunity. I look forward to participating.
Lisa Maher

James | 10 comments I would love to participate in this discussion and receive the book. This would be my first group discussion and I am eager to join with everyone. I agree to all of the T&C.
James

message 42: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad (BradBe) | 3 comments I am pretty new to Goodreads and have really just lurked mostly but this seems like a great way to start participating. I love talking history with people (I am a history teacher) so I definitely agree to all of the ts and cs.

message 43: by Gabriel (new) - added it

Gabriel I would be interested in the book. I read his book about Andrew Jackson and it was awesome.

message 44: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (dolleygurl) | 27 comments Hello - I would love to be considered to take part in this discussion. The last I participated in was the John Quincy Adams one several months ago. I agree to abide by the terms and conditions set forth in the opening of this posting.

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Event Notification sent out:

If you are interested in participating, please also say yes to the event notification. That gives our moderators a list of folks who are participating.

Ann D I would like to participate in the discussion. I have read the rules and agree to abide by them. Please consider me for a free copy of the book.

Thanks.

message 47: by Vivien (new)

Vivien | 10 comments I think I already responded, but I am absolutely interested in participating, am saying yes, and have read the rules and agree to abide. I have also sent my name and address. Thanks. Vivien

message 48: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthew_kuhl) | 3 comments I'd definitely like to put my name in. One of my favorite classes in college was all about Jefferson, and I'd like to revisit him. I agree to all terms and conditions, and I will absolutely write a review.

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryan wrote: "I hope to go to his talk at Monticello on Nov. 11."

Make sure to introduce yourself and mention the History Book Club.

Also, have fun. (smile)

Donna (drspoon) I would like to participate in this discussion and agree to abide by the t's and c's as stated.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6