Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Engl. IV > The expression of bewilderment

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
Toward the end of chapter 5, Nick attempts to explain "the expression of bewilderment that had come back into Gatsby's face." What explanation does Nick give? Why, in his opinion is Daisy not at fault?

Josh Smith | 18 comments nick says that "I saw that the expression of bewilderment had come back to Gatsby's face, as thought a faint doubt had occurred to him as to the quality of his present happiness." and " almost five years! there must have been moments even that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams-not through her own fault but because the colossal vitality of his illusion" on page 95 in the last paragraph.

i think in nicks opinion Daisy isn't at fault because over the course of 5 years Gatsby must have had a vision of how daisy would be when they finally met again and nick must have thought that Gatsby may have been maybe over exaggerating.

message 3: by Lyon (new)

Lyon Rivera | 16 comments "...as though a faint doubt had occurred to him as to the quality of his present happiness." Gatsby and Daisy were in love completely, forgetting Nick all together. Gatsby forgot the favor Nick did for him but Daisy held out her hand in a way of thanks.

message 4: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 21 comments The Explanation that Nick gives is that what had happened between Daisy and Nick was 5 years ago.
Gatsby either way dosen't blame Daisy."not through her own fault, but becasuse of of the colossal vitality of his illusion."(pg95)

message 5: by Valeria (new) - added it

Valeria Ferrer | 9 comments Nick says, as I went over to say good-by I saw that the expression of bewilderment had come back into Gatsby's face, as though a faint doubt had occurred to him as to the quality of his present happiness. Almost five years! Then Nick said -They had forgotten about me, but Daisy glanced up and held out her hand; Gatsby didn't know me now at all. (pg 96) I think Nick's opinion of Daisy not being at fault is that what happened between them happened 5 years ago. "not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitallity of his illusion. (pg 95)

message 6: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 21 comments What I think that Nick is trying to say is that something made Gatsby have doubt about his life. A doubt not only for his life but also for his happiness. "I saw that the expression of bewilderment had come back into Gatsby's face, as though a faint doubt had occurred to him as to the quality of his present happiness." The reason that Nick doesnt blame Daisy for this is because of all the thing that happened before and after Daisy arrived. Mostly because of Gatsby's actions threw out the chapter. Nick gives another reason in pg 95 which is "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams-not through her own fault, but beacause of the colossal vitality of his illusion." So I think he blames Gatsby himself for being too in love or obessed over her.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 18 comments He describes him with so much happiness. "there must have been moments even that afternoon when daisy tumbled short of his dreams" (pg 95) he described them with the passion they had for each other. All of his emotions comming out when he is with hell full of love and joy. Forgetting everything around them even about nick.

message 8: by Drew (new) - rated it 1 star

Drew | 19 comments Toward the end of chapter 5, Nick attempts to explain "the expression of bewilderment that had come back into Gatsby's face." What explanation does Nick give? Why, in his opinion is Daisy not at fault?
in the five years Gatsby wanted daisy to drop by she never did invoking him to put her in his imagination by doing this she became better than she really is in his eyes by doing this this is Gatsby's fault."there must have been moments even that afternoon when daisy tumbled short of his dreams-not though her own fault but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion.it had gone beyond her, beyond everything."pg 95 so this is not daisy's fault it is his.