The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion

See the movie first, or read the book first?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sierra Okay. So i'm torn. I don't know if i should read the book first, or wait until the movie comes out and THEN read the book. Suggestions?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely read the book first! Generally the books are better than the movie, so I figure, get obsessed over the book (because you certainly will) then you will be more excited when the movie comes out XD Plus, then the movie wont give away anything in the book!

Sierra Good point!!!!

Kelly Book! I agree with LizzyOrSpoons as well. Books are generally better and less likely to spoil the movie for you than the movie is to spoil the book!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks XD people hardlyever agree with me, haha

Ashley Parker I know most people will never agree with me. But I think reading the book first ruins the film. I like to see an amazing film. then an EVEN BETTER book!
But thats just me

Kristine Maybe you should read the book first, and don't set your expectations high on the film. Just enjoy the movie :D but yeah I agree with Ashley :D

Sara Read the book first then watch the movie

Rosie Do as you please but the books is really good

message 10: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex It depends on your preference...The book is absolutely amazing, and I'm sure that the movie is going to be, too. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if they're missing a lot of the important details - or any details at all. That's the most exciting part to me. I always find that reading it first is more fun, because you get to picture your own characters, give their own faces, tone of voice, etc. I find that when I see the movies first, it sort of adjusts the character to that of the actors adaptation - and I hate when that's the case. The book is super short and is a quick read anyway :] you'll finish it before the movie comes out. But, if you're not the kind of person who keeps an image of the actor/actress in your head, then by all means do which ever is more convenient for you :]

kpopfan Man i hope they don't screw the movie up from the trailer it looks really spot on, but who knows.... Im a huge Logan Lerman fan and anything his in will diff. watch. Sooo I say watch the movie first then the book later or just dont and just watch the movie that way you wont be angry if they id end up screwing the movie all together :)

But thats just my opinion.

Gabby Yeah, Sierra, i was thinking the same thing. But i might read the book first.

message 13: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Always read the book first! Always.

Sierra Sometimes when i see the movie first, and THEN read the book, i'm able to actually put a face to the name. Like for example: I went and saw The Lucky One, and then read the book. I pictured Zac Efron's face the whole time i was reading. I don't know...

Sierra Ashley wrote: "I know most people will never agree with me. But I think reading the book first ruins the film. I like to see an amazing film. then an EVEN BETTER book!
But thats just me"

I agree. Sometimes its best to do it that way.

Raven Read then watch

message 17: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella read first. best book evvverrrr. but the movie is going to be great too. LOGAN LERMAN AND EMMA WATSON AHHHH

McKent Peligrino There is no way a movie can ever create images as good as the ones you actively create in your imagination as you read. so READ FIRST!

Julia Read the book first!!

McKent Peligrino TOTALLY! SINCE THE MOVIE IS BLOCKED IN MY COUNTRY FOR THE LEWD SCENES.

Sierra Kent wrote: "TOTALLY! SINCE THE MOVIE IS BLOCKED IN MY COUNTRY FOR THE LEWD SCENES."

What country do you live in? And what is "lewd"?

Sierra Ella wrote: "read first. best book evvverrrr. but the movie is going to be great too. LOGAN LERMAN AND EMMA WATSON AHHHH"

I love Logan Lerman <3 He is sooo cute!

McKent Peligrino ahahaha

Sierra Kent wrote: "ahahaha"

What?

message 25: by kpopfan (last edited Sep 16, 2012 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

kpopfan Sierra wrote: "Ella wrote: "read first. best book evvverrrr. but the movie is going to be great too. LOGAN LERMAN AND EMMA WATSON AHHHH"

I love Logan Lerman <3 He is sooo cute!"

yes hes pretty cute! :)

Sierra Mhm. His eyes are gorgeous!

Sierra Tirzah wrote: "Sierra wrote: "Kent wrote: "TOTALLY! SINCE THE MOVIE IS BLOCKED IN MY COUNTRY FOR THE LEWD SCENES."

What country do you live in? And what is "lewd"?"

Lewd is another way of describing something a..."

That's what i thought, but i didn't want to assume.

message 28: by Mina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mina Definitely book first. :)

McKent Peligrino Sierra wrote: "Kent wrote: "TOTALLY! SINCE THE MOVIE IS BLOCKED IN MY COUNTRY FOR THE LEWD SCENES."

What country do you live in? And what is "lewd"?"

Sierra wrote: "Kent wrote: "ahahaha"

What?"

temporarily staying in the philippines,, lewd, like horny stuffs. and this country suck! i wanna go back to cali!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

you should read the book first to truly understand the movie. besides the book is always better than the movie.

Kristine Kent wrote: "TOTALLY! SINCE THE MOVIE IS BLOCKED IN MY COUNTRY FOR THE LEWD SCENES."

but it's coming soon on theaters nationwide here in the Philippines right?

Sierra Doesn't nationwide mean the US?

EpicCyndaquil So I've already read the book (and loved it), but that was nearly a year ago. I've forgotten a good amount of it. Should I re-read the book before I see the movie? Such a hard decision!

Daphne Read the book first, trust me, movies based on books can be pretty good sometimes, but they never do justice to the actual book. There's always something missing, and the book has it all . . especially the Perks of Being a Wallflower, which is a wonderful book.

Sierra Lyle wrote: "So I've already read the book (and loved it), but that was nearly a year ago. I've forgotten a good amount of it. Should I re-read the book before I see the movie? Such a hard decision!"

I'm feeling the same way. I read the twilight books over 2 years ago and have considered re-reading the last book before the final movie comes out to refresh my memory. But, i'd rather read new material.

McKent Peligrino Kristine wrote: "Kent wrote: "TOTALLY! SINCE THE MOVIE IS BLOCKED IN MY COUNTRY FOR THE LEWD SCENES."

but it's coming soon on theaters nationwide here in the Philippines right?"

i don't think so... but im nost so sure since the month has not yet end.

McKent Peligrino Sierra wrote: "Doesn't nationwide mean the US?"

if you're livin in us.

Kristine I guess we won't have to wait long. I've seen few posters in some theaters ^^,

Muneera Sierra wrote: "Okay. So i'm torn. I don't know if i should read the book first, or wait until the movie comes out and THEN read the book. Suggestions?"

Read the book first, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie!!

Sierra Muneera wrote: "Sierra wrote: "Okay. So i'm torn. I don't know if i should read the book first, or wait until the movie comes out and THEN read the book. Suggestions?"

Read the book first, the book is ALWAYS bett..."

That's what i've heard.

Gretchen Read it first I started it Monday and finished today. It is not a long read.

Sierra You finished it in a day??

Jools I finished this book in a day, and to be honest i give it 2 stars....The movie is on general release here in Dubai but doubt i will go and see it. This is only because it will be cut.

Sierra Jools wrote: "I finished this book in a day, and to be honest i give it 2 stars....The movie is on general release here in Dubai but doubt i will go and see it. This is only because it will be cut."

What do you mean by "cut"? Like they take parts of the movie out? My sister lived in Kuwait and said that they wouln't show movies that had kissing on them on tv.

message 45: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina I like to watch the movie first, so I'm not so distracted by the glaring differences. Usually, the book is better than the movie, but if I have to pay so much for the movie, then I would like to enjoy it too. For example, I read Water for Elephants, which is fabulous, and then watched the movie. They cut so much of the original story line. I didn't like the movie, the 1st time I watched it.

EpicCyndaquil Tina wrote: "I like to watch the movie first, so I'm not so distracted by the glaring differences. Usually, the book is better than the movie, but if I have to pay so much for the movie, then I would like to en..."

I totally agree with you on this one. That's why I'm going to wait to re-read it, since I've forgotten the details.

Jools Sierra wrote: "Jools wrote: "I finished this book in a day, and to be honest i give it 2 stars....The movie is on general release here in Dubai but doubt i will go and see it. This is only because it will be cut...."

"CUT" means they take out sections of the film they find inappropriate or offensive to there religion beliefs. Sometimes if there is too much cutting involved they just do not release the film. You then wait for general dvd release.

Annarea Padilla READ!!! ;p

McKent Peligrino totally

Gretchen Sierra wrote: "You finished it in a day??"

Basically. Started Monday afternoon finished it Tuesday in the evening. Reading it here and there. It is a collection of letters written like a diary, so it reads very quickly and easily.

« previous 1