Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Does this need a more specific title?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 3: by Krystal109 (last edited Sep 08, 2012 06:04PM) (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments If someone searched for it they won't likely search "autobiography" or it may be confused with other series of the same name name when searched.

I don't think it is an official series, so I don't see why the title shouldn't be more specific for searches.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I don't think that's a series. That's a book, and its sequel.

message 5: by willaful (new)

willaful Lobstergirl wrote: "I don't think that's a series. That's a book, and its sequel."

See this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

I don't see any compelling reason not to give the books a more descriptive title. It can't hurt and might help.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I don't think GR position on series should be "as a default, let's create a series." I think there should be a compelling reason to create a series, rather than a compelling reason not to.

message 7: by willaful (new)

willaful Lobstergirl wrote: "I don't think GR position on series should be "as a default, let's create a series." I think there should be a compelling reason to create a series, rather than a compelling reason not to."

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Series are a very convenient way to organize information, and it's generally information of value to readers. For the purposes of organizing that info, one book with one sequel is as valid a "series" as any other number of books.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I think there are two main types of series. One is where an author uses the same characters from book to book, and the plots of books generally follow a chronological order. The Narnia series being a good example. Or the "Inspector Lynley" series by Elizabeth George.

Or where a publishing imprint, often academic, publishes works that adhere to a common theme. E.g. Studies in the Legal History of the South, published by the University of Georgia Press. In each book in the series you'll see the series title mentioned, followed by all the books in that series published up to the current time.

I don't think of it as a series when someone writes a memoir, and then another memoir.

message 9: by Krystal109 (last edited Sep 09, 2012 12:41AM) (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Well, I changed the series name once and the person changed it back. I will change the name again with a note to this thread.

If you guys decide to delete the series that would be up to you based on GR's policy. I would really appreciate a super or rivka to chime in on this.

message 10: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I would leave it, but I tend to be overly generous with series.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Better to err on the side of too much information rather than too little, I think. If the books are related, might as well join 'em up in a series. It doesn't have to be your standard fantasy three-book-contract trilogy to count.

message 12: by Krystal109 (last edited Sep 09, 2012 05:48PM) (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Yea I don't mind the series staying I just thought a series title better than "Autobiography" should have been applied.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41663 comments Mod
Krystal109 wrote: "I just thought a series title better than "Autobiography" should have been applied."

Not sure why it's necessary. Anyone searching by author name will find it via general search.