The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > Favorite Authors Recently Passed

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (last edited Sep 08, 2012 11:56AM) (new)

Joel Dennstedt (joeldennstedtymailcom) There are authors one follows religiously. When they pass, for readers it can be like the loss of a family member. Or like an addiction with withdrawal pending.
Maybe even cold turkey if you have already read all of their works. This year, my number one favorite author of all time passed on. I am suffering.
1. Barry Unsworth - his early works were perfect.
2. Jose Saramago - also passed, but at least I have one or two of his that I have not yet read. Time to ration myself.
So, have any of your favorites passed on recently?
Would you like to say something in their honor?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10089 comments Mod
Oh, Joel, you are a fan of Saramago? I was crushed when I learned he passed. The only consolation for me was the fact that much of his writing has yet to be translated to english.. so I will have new Saramago to read for years to come.

message 3: by Joel (new)

Joel Dennstedt (joeldennstedtymailcom) Lori, I am a huge fan of his. The first book I read was The Cave, and I was blown away. By everything. By the theme, the writing, and I was quickly enamored of his style. I had no trouble with the way dialog was handled, which I thought would be difficult. I have read every book so far except for two, I think. What an incredible writer. And he always made me laugh. Thank you for mentioning that there are still works yet to come ... that lifts my spirits!

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments Cain - his last book, I think - was the one that hooked me.

message 5: by Joel (new)

Joel Dennstedt (joeldennstedtymailcom) Jane wrote: "Cain - his last book, I think - was the one that hooked me."

Wasn't that a great book! I mean, I loved all of them. The Elephant's Journey is great. The Stone Raft was a favorite. Even All The Names was completely unique. Hard to choose my favorite of all, and isn't that the best sign with an author?

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) When Elmore Leonard passed a few months back I was deeply saddened. I got into his novels after watching the show Justified on FX. I then read 'Riding the Rap' and 'Pronto' and was instantly a fan. I also read Bandits by him and again just a great book. His style is just original and its real life type characters in a fictionous word which I really appreciate. I made a folder just for his books here on Goodreads and I think that because he has passed I will honor and appreciate his work even more.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 63 comments The inimitable Maya Angelou passed away this morning. Heartbreaking to lose such a wonderful author and woman.

message 8: by Lorraine (last edited Jun 03, 2014 04:22AM) (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) My favourite author died in May, Mary Stewart, author of romantic mysteries, most set in exotic locations such as Corfu and Syria, as well as her wonderful Merlin series. I always think of her writing as comfort food for the mind.

message 9: by Ron (new)

Ron Scheer | 30 comments Neither of these is necessarily recent, but I hated hearing the David Eddings passed away a few years ago as well as Brian Jacques-He wrote all the Redwall books.

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I was crushed, I mean really crushed, when Michael Chrichton passed away. There are a few authors I adore and have for years and suspect their deaths will feel very, very personal.

BTW I also mourned the passing of Seramago, but like Lori, know that there will still be "new to me" (because of translation) works of his to come.

message 11: by Ron (new)

Ron Scheer | 30 comments I didn't know Michael Chrichton passed. What a loss!

message 12: by Roderick (new)

Roderick Vincent | 9 comments I just got into John Updike, then heard he passed. I still plan to read more of his books though.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Noorilhuda wrote: "The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough author Colleen McCullough"

I'm heartbroken. I have no idea how I will manage to deal with life when Stephen King eventually passes.

message 15: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 31 comments @ Kandice, maybe one of his horror-fests will comfort you! No, seriously!

message 16: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 36 comments And sadly, McCullough was given an entirely insulting and sexist obituary in Australia.

Shelley
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Shelley wrote: "And sadly, McCullough was given an entirely insulting and sexist obituary in Australia.

Shelley
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com"

I know, it was horrid! I was upset that when I searched for news about her passing that came up more often than anything else. Well, that and the outraged responses to it. Ridiculous!

message 18: by Benjamin (last edited Mar 24, 2015 06:24PM) (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 19 comments I love books that make you laugh out loud. Terry Pratchett was one of the few authors who could do this consistently. The BBC said:

Many have picked up on the fact that Pratchett's Twitter account actually tweeted a link to a press release announcing his death. In fact, shortly after the author's death, four messages appeared, one after the other, creating a short-short story.

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

(If you're familiar with Terry's books you'll know when one of his best characters 'Death' talks it's always depicted in capitals - so in a way Terry had the last laugh)

(bit.ly/1b4HFM6)

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 2 comments Not very recent passing but Iain M Banks, especially his earlier culture novels - genius.