Writing Passionates discussion

Read my Story/Story Help > Does anyone know how to copywright a piece of writing?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I'm really paranoid, so I'm worried that someone might try to take my ideas/actual writing and was wondering if anyone knew how? Just so that I can continue to post feeling secure. Otherwise I don't think I can post anything up without becoming anxious.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Um . . . I think I know the symbol to copyright. give me a sec.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

.© 2005 (or the current year), John Doe (your formal name). All rights reserved.

message 4: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments That's it? You don't have to go through any special process?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I just checked out Shadow Mountain.com, submission guidlines and such, and it says this: But this is like if you publish with them or something, idk. But it could work:

You need not worry that we will steal your idea or any part of your manuscript. No reputable publisher will do that. Nor do you need to register your manuscript for copyright before submitting it. Under the current U.S. copyright law, your book is already protected the moment you set it down on paper, even though it may not be formally registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. If you wish, put a notice on the title page in the following manner: .© 2005 (or the current year), John Doe (your formal name). All rights reserved.. Upon publication of your book, the publisher will submit the necessary forms to formally register the copyright. If you still have specific copyright questions, please review the FAQ of the Copyright Office at the Library of Congress.

message 6: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Oh, okay! Thanks, Cali. I'm going to do that right now, just to give myself some peace of mind.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

lolz okay.

message 8: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments XD There, done.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

:D

message 10: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi how do you get the copyright symbol when typing? i can get it in a word processor like microsoft or open office, but don't know how to on this.

message 11: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I just copied and pasted. XD

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too. XD

message 13: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments O.o lol

message 14: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi goo idea, works for everything else!

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 14 comments Anything you write is essentially "copyrighted" the second it leaves your mind and hits paper. To "Register" a copy right you need $35 and a simple form (can do online) from the US Gov

Here are some links that should help:
Copyright Basics Guide
Link to file electronically

-- Wife of GR author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 16: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 2205 comments Mod
omgsh omgsh omgsh! i loooove shadowmountain! haha

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Lolz that's who i'm going to send my book 2.

message 18: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Cool

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avempartha (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)