The LDS Reader discussion

Book Discussions > LDS books that you are reading (or read recently)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_gephart) | 147 comments Mod
Hello, everyone,

I would like this thread to be about what LDS books that we might be reading, about to read, or have recently read. I recently read a decent work of fiction called Sudden Peril by Frank Richardson. The twists and turns in the plot were good, but I felt that, although the conflict was resolved, there was no real result from the conflict in a "big picture" sense.

Here is the book cover: Sudden Peril Inside the War Against Evil by Frank Richardson

So what is everyone else reading?

message 2: by Paul (new)

I neglected to mention - I will also have separate threads for LDS Fiction and LDS Non-Fiction books that you have read in the more distant past or have not read yet but intend to; this is more for what you are currently reading (or recently read or soon-to-read).

message 3: by kelley (last edited Sep 07, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

kelley | 25 comments Frank Richardson is my cousin :) I recently read Jaguar Prophecies by Pylliss Gunderson. It was pretty interesting bringing several "end of the world" theories together in one story line. At the same time I was reading 65 Signs of the Times by David Ridges, which gave the LDS perspective. It was quite interesting.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Sep 07, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

The Jaguar Prophecies by Phyllis Gunderson The Jaguar Prophecies
65 Signs of the Times Leading up to the Second Coming by David J. Ridges 65 Signs of the Times

Ridges' book is on my list of things to read (which is quite long.

As for Frank Richardson, ask him if there will be a sequel to "Sudden Peril." I'd like him to finish the story...

message 5: by David (new)

David (dwzobell) Drop what you're doing and read "The Scholar of Moab." Insanely awesome.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Thanks, David. I'll add "The Scholar of Moab" The Scholar of Moab by Steven L. Peck to my list.

message 7: by Janell (new)

Janell (jrimington) | 4 comments I've recently read two non-fiction books by Mary Ellen Edmunds: You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don't Need: The Quest for Contentment and MEE Speaks But Does She Have Anything to Say and both were excellent. She was an instructor at the MTC as well as a frequent speaker at Education Week and the Women's Conferences.

Also finished Personal Glimpses of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Hyrum & Helen Andrus. This book contained 100 documented first hand accounts of the Prophet from journals and letters, etc. Very inspiring!

message 8: by Paul (new)

All of those sound like great titles, Janell. Here are the book covers, for those interested...

Mee Speaks But Does She Have Anything to Say? by Mary Ellen Edmunds, You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don't Need The Quest for Contentment by Mary Ellen Edmunds, and Personal Glimpses of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Hyrum L. Andrus

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments vision tokens by rick simnett

message 10: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 20 comments I recently finished No Greater Love, Vol. 5 of A Banner Is Unfurled by Marcie Gallacher and Kerri Robinson. I've really enjoyed this series, but the volumes have been spaced so far apart I felt a little lost at times. I plan to review the book for Meridian and I'll say more there.

message 11: by Paul (new)

I haven't read either the Vision Tokens book or any of the A Banner is Unfurled series.

Jennie, feel free to post a link here when you publish your review!

message 12: by Peg (last edited Oct 11, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Peg (pegivanyo) | 2 comments Jennie: So glad to hear that this is finally out, but I'm with you...I almost feel like I need to start over at book 1 and re-read them before going on to book 5. I'm still waiting for book two of the Mima Journals as well. There might be something to the theory of waiting until the entire series is published before even starting! Thanks for your post Jennie. Looking forward to reading your review.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Amen, Peg! I didn't begin reading "The Work and the Glory" series until the first 8 books were released, so by the time I got to the ninth, I didn't have to wait for it. (I did that with Harry Potter, too, on a non-LDS literature note.)

I recently finished Richard Paul Evans' "Michael Vey #2: Rise of the Elgen" and now have to wait at least a year for the next book (but whenever you read them, that is a very good series, written on about a fourth grade reading level, so you can breeze right through them).

Rise of the Elgen by Richard Paul Evans

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I'm almost finished with Parley P Pratt's A Voice of Warning. It's been a little tougher read than his autobiography, which I really liked. In this one he quotes long passages of scripture and the format (Kindle) makes it tricky to read.

message 15: by Paul (new)

That sounds cool, Cindy. I've always liked Parley (mainly, I think, because we had a pet that we named Parley P. Cat!) and his story as portrayed in the church film "How Rare a Possession" from the late 1980s. I've never read his autobiography, but it's on my list.

Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced) by Parley P. Pratt The Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt and
A Voice of Warning by Parley P. Pratt A Voice of Warning

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments Currently reading The Other Side of Heaven by John H. Groberg . I saw the movie which I enjoyed, but I heard from someone that there were many changes made to the movie from the book. Has anyone else read this one? The original title of the book was "In the Eye of the Storm".

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg | 5 comments Yes, the book is much more powerful than the movie. Many experiences not presented in the movie. As I recall (it's been awhile), the movie focused more on Elder Groberg's physical and adjustment challenges, which were not inconsiderable. However, the book goes into much more detail on the spiritual challenges he encountered, and how he resolved them. It is a much more complete and nuanced glimpse into his character and growth than the movie.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Greg is precisely right. I read "In the Eye of the Storm" and some of the movies' angles were emphasized to make it less of a "Mormon movie" for a wider audience. Still, I loved the movie, but as Greg said, the book goes much deeper into the spiritual aspects of Elder Groberg's mission. (Each chapter in the book has a theme, so there is a moral to every story that he tells.)

Full disclosure - I went to junior high and high school with Elder Groberg's daughter.

message 19: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Stone (LarryTheBassGuy) | 3 comments I am actually currently reading Pres. Spencer W. Kimball's Biography by his 2 sons. I wasn't alive when Pres. Kimball was, but, after having listened to and read some of his talks, I have been profoundly strengthened by his words. As I read his story I can see why he was such a powerful leader.

message 20: by Paul (new)

President Kimball was the prophet from the time I can remember (I was about 3 1/2 when President Lee died, and Joseph Fielding Smith was the prophet when I was born) until I was 15. He was a great one (as they all are, of course)!

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments Paul wrote: "Greg is precisely right. I read "In the Eye of the Storm" and some of the movies' angles were emphasized to make it less of a "Mormon movie" for a wider audience. Still, I loved the movie, but as G..."

Thank you Greg and Paul for your posts. I'm liking "The Other Side of Heaven" so far and like that it's written in his own words. Feels like I'm reading a journal and I'm looking forward to the more complete version of Elder Groberg's mission experiences. Love reading mission related stories as it brings back memories of my own!

message 22: by Paul (new)

I'm not certain, Nick, but I think "The Fire of Faith" is the sequel to that. I'll have to check that out from the library one of these days...

Fire of Faith The Memoirs of John H. Groberg by John H. Groberg

message 23: by Christy (new)

Christy | 11 comments I love Elder Groberg's message. He has such insight. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

message 24: by LAWonder10 (new)

LAWonder10 | 3 comments I just finished reading 'Your Happily Ever After' by DDieter F. Uchtdorf. It was abook directed primarily at LDS youth but gave such a great "recipe' for a strong foundation to cause each to receive their"Happily Ever After". It is very uplifting.

message 25: by Christy (new)

Christy | 11 comments I love everything Elder Uchtdorf writes.

message 26: by Paul (last edited Apr 22, 2013 01:37PM) (new)

Your Happily Ever After by Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I've always been partial to President Uchtdorf. My oldest brother went to the (West) Germany Frankfurt Mission, and I studied German in high school, so I feel a special affinity for him. Thanks for sharing, Lu!

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I just finished [A Distant Prayer] about Joseph Banks and his combat mission and POW experience in WWII. I really enjoyed it.

message 28: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 14 comments I've read that book, Cindy....A Distant Prayer. It was very good.

message 29: by Paul (new)

I've also read "A Distant Prayer" and enjoyed it a great deal. Thanks for sharing, Cindy!

A Distant Prayer by Joseph Banks

message 30: by LAWonder10 (new)

LAWonder10 | 3 comments I finished 'My Burden is Light' by Robert Fantina. I feel it is a book all adults should read along with their YA with an open-minded discussion afterwords.
He is my review in the book.
My husband won this in a giveaway or we probably never would have purchased it -
a BIG MISTAKE!
This is a story for all of us in today's society to read. It puts a different light on
same sex attraction and will help each individual become more aware and less
condemning.
Just as all of us struggle with trials, the important thing is how we react to those
trials.
This is a clean, emotional, inspiring, and bittersweet story of a young man's struggles
and solutions.
A must read for all and especially, for Christian people.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 14 comments Reading "Searching the Scriptures" by Gene R. Cook. Very good book. I am enjoying it.

message 32: by Paul (new)

Thanks, Lu, for your recommendation of "My Burden is Light." I've not heard of the book, but it may interest some of our members.
My Burden Is Light by Robert Fantina My Burden is Light

Cathy, Elder Cook was the member of the First Quorum of Seventy over the Northeastern States when I was on my mission in New Jersey, and I had the honor of meeting him a few times. His books and talks are not always easy to read (or hear), but he always has a great message. I enjoyed his "Teaching By the Spirit."
Searching the Scriptures Bringing Power to Your Personal and Family Study by Gene R. Cook Searching the Scriptures and Teaching by the Spirit by Gene R. Cook Teaching By the Spirit

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 14 comments Paul, I haven't read "Teaching by the Spirit" yet, but I'm planning on it.

message 34: by Paul (new)

I liked it. :)

message 35: by Aleesa (new)

Aleesa Sutton | 2 comments I'm just about finished The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith and have loved it. It's a very accessible and extremely well-written book that provides historical, political and social context around Mormonism from the time of the restoration of the gospel right up to the present. It's full of really interesting facts, and I've become a much better informed Mormon as a result of reading it. Highly recommended!

Next up: The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments My son is studying Preach My Gospel. He's planning to finish it in the 2 weeks he's recovering from from a tonsillectomy. He's 17 so he wants to be prepared. Where did the time go! I'm kind of happy and sad that he'll be leaving soon.

message 37: by Paul (new)

Awesome, Cindy! You'll have to let us know when he gets his call.

Preach My Gospel A Guide To Missionary Service by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I'm going to resolve to use "Preach My Gospel" in Family Home Evening more.

message 38: by Paul (new)

Aleesa wrote: "I'm just about finished The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith and have loved it. It's a very accessible and extremely well-written book that provides historical, politi..."

Sorry, Aleesa, I didn't see your reply when you sent it. How did you like your books?

The Mormon People The Making of an American Faith by Matthew Bowman and The God Who Weeps How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life by Terryl L. Givens

I just picked up one recently that is similar to the first book but written by a non-Mormon whose books I've read about political figures called "The Mormonizing of America." I got it for $1 and haven't cracked it open yet, though.

The Mormonizing of America How the Mormon Religion Became a Dominant Force in Politics, Entertainment, and Pop Culture by Stephen Mansfield

message 39: by kelley (new)

kelley | 25 comments I'm reading David J Ridges Old Testament Series. I'm finding it a great addition to my Sunday School Study.

message 40: by Paul (new)

I have a book by him, "Using the Signs of the Times to Strengthen Your Testimony", from the library, but I'm not very far into it, and someone else has a hold (which keeps me from renewing it). I've wanted to get his books for the reasons you mentioned - that they aid in the study of the scriptures. :)

Here are the covers mentioned:

Using the Signs of the Times to Strengthen Your Testimony by David J Ridges and The Old Testament Made Easier, Vol. 1 (Gospel Studies) by David J. Ridges, The Old Testament Made Easier Part 2 Selections from Exodus Through Proverbs by David J. Ridges, and The Old Testament Made Easier, Vol. 3 (Gospel Study) by David J. Ridges, and Isaiah Made Easier in the Bible and the Book of Mormon (Gospel Studies Series) by David J. Ridges

message 41: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Bell (DLBell) | 1 comments Hi, I'm more into the historical aspects of church literature. I'm currently reading Joseph Smith and the Restoration by IJ Barrett. Pretty good book.

message 42: by Paul (new)

That sounds interesting, D.L. I like Church History as a subject, too.

Here is the cover of the book D.L. mentioned for members who are interested:

Joseph Smith and the Restoration A History of the LDS Church to 1846 by Ivan J. Barrett

message 43: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo | 1 comments I just recently read The Book of Mormon. That book has amazing stories to tell. Moroni has told us that God will reveal the truthfulness of it if we are faithful.

I just recently started in on The Bible. It too has amazing stories to tell.

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr. Holy Bible King James Version by Anonymous Joseph Smith Jr.

message 44: by Paul (new)

Thanks, Rodrigo!

I started reading The Book of Mormon again in May, and I'm loving the stories, too. It's a little different this time, because I'm reading it on my phone, and none of the highlights from seminary, my mission, and all the years after are there, so it's a little like reading it for the first time, and my perspectives are sometimes different, but it's always the best book ever, in my estimation.

If anyone wants to see my GoodReads review of The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, here is the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 45: by Paul (new)

I recently read - and reviewed, both on Amazon and Goodreads - this book by A. L. Sowards called "Deadly Alliance," which was the third book in a very good series published by Covenant.

Deadly Alliance by A.L. Sowards

I also found a good site that reviews books by LDS women at this link: www.ldswomensbookreview.com/wordpress/

message 46: by kelley (new)

kelley | 25 comments Paul wrote: "I have a book by him, "Using the Signs of the Times to Strengthen Your Testimony", from the library, but I'm not very far into it, and someone else has a hold (which keeps me from renewing it). I'v..."

He recently spoke at a YSA Fireside in our area on the Signs of the Times. It was very good.

message 47: by Paul (new)

I would have gone to that! I think David Ridges is a pretty good scholar/author.

message 48: by Paul (new)

I just "read" an audio book by Robert Marcum. It was novel about Mary & Joseph (which is also the title, not coincidentally).

Here is the link to the book:
Mary & Joseph by Robert Marcum

And here is my review:

message 49: by Paul (new)

I recently read "Divine Signatures" by Gerald N. Lund and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read. Here is my review:

Divine Signatures The Confirming Hand of God by Gerald N. Lund

message 50: by kelley (new)

kelley | 25 comments Sounds like some good reads.

« previous 1