Who's Your Author? discussion

Paranormal Writers > Sherrilyn Kenyon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 190 (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments A couple of weeks ago I started reading some of the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I've got a few questions for those of you that have read the series. First off, on a different website, they had listed Fantasy Lover, Night Pleasures and Night Embrace as the first 3 books, and those are the 3 that I've read so far. But on this website it says that there is a different book that's #2, Dragonswan. But I am having trouble finding that book. Do I really need to go back and try to find it before I keep reading the series, or is it one of those that you can skip. I mean, I didn't have any problems with knowing what was going on in the 2 books that came after that.

Also, I don't want to know what actually happened with 2 of the characters, not looking for spoilers, I just want to know if we ever find out Zarek and Acheron's stories.

So far I am really enjoying this series. Does the series stay great?

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I haven't read these, but I looked them up awhile back, and if memory serves, I think Dragonswan is a novella in an anthology. It seems like a few of the "books" in this series are that way. If you want to skip the anthologies, I think they have a "just books" reading order on Amazon. ...I think...

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Feb 02, 2009 11:42AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments Dragonswan is #2 but as far as I could tell from reading it, it had nothing to do with any of the Dark-Hunters at all.

Nothing familiar was in this book that has been in all the rest of the Dark-Hunters.

And yes Zarek and Acheron has their own stories :)

As far as I have read the series indeed stays great. I read the Dark-Hunters in order because as you have noticed people keep popping in future books that you will recognize and it makes the book even better.

But not to worry if you cant find Dragonswan because it was totally separate. I really am not even sure why its listed as #2.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Kelley Anne this is my FAVORITE series.. ever! lol. Dragonswan is a very short story that is involved in the same world as the Darkhunters, but the main character is not a darkhunter. These books should be read in order because despite the fact that each book centers on its own character, Kenyon often brings in characters from other books which may spoil previous books.

For example, you see Kyrian (from Night pleasure) in Talon's book (Night embrace)... so if you didn't read his book first.. you would already know what the ending ultimately is.

But I love how Kenyon ties all the stories of these great characters together. and I love that it is such a unique point of view of vampires and the incorporation of Greek Mythology which I love.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments Weird Kelley because I read Dragonswan and nothing about it was familiar at all..

Though I am only atm up to book 7 or 8.

message 6: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments I just picked up Night Pleasure from the Library but I did not read Fantasy Lover am I missing something huge?

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments Well.. Julian (Fantasy Lovers main Hunk) isnt a Dark-Hunter but he is mentioned in many of the books after.. And it does help to know who he is.

I prefer to read them in order.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I have read all of the proper Dark-Hunter books and I agree that they should be read in order, if at all possible. And I say "proper", because I don't have all of the stories in the anthologies, nor did I read Fantasy Lover or all of the Dream Hunters (although I do own them, I just haven't gotten around to them yet). It is a wonderful series though, and definitely ranks very high on my list. Zarek's book is a fan favorite, and although I wasn't as taken with him as everyone else (I prefer the were-hunters) I have to agree it was a good one. And Ash's book - whew... awesome! But then, they don't come better than Ash, so his book was always going to be good.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I've read all of the shorts and all of the main books. Typically you will understand the stories in the books even if you don't read the short stories. Some of the characters do occur in other books, and reading the short stories gives you a better idea of that person/couple's place in the dark hunter world it is not strictly necessary.

Fantasy lover isn't really in the same "world" as the rest of the books. There are no daimons or dark hunters or were-hunters mentioned. The characters in the book do play some MAJOR supporting roles later in the series, so it is a good idea to read the book. These characters occasionally pop in and out without a complete reference to their background.

Dragonswan is not a part of an anthology. You can probably find it at the library, or order it from amazon or at a local bookstore (no shipping cost, yay!). Most of the rest of the anthologies you guys should be able to find at the library (I know I did), if the library doesn't have it try interlibrary loan, or a request a title form.

check here:
http://www.amazon.com/Dragonswan-Dark...

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just finished the new book Dream Warrior and it was amazing!! As kenyon has said on her website, this book is a turning point in the direction of her series. Now the focus will be leaning more towards Nick and his new role in the series and also we will be reading more about the Dogs of War. Who are a bigger and badder version of dark hunters. They are stronger and their powers don't drain eachother when they are near to one another.

The leaders of this motley crew will be Jericho (seen in Dream Warrior), Jared, and Zarek.

Awesome book!!! Can't wait for the next one.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments No kidding... I also just finished the book and am happy with the development of the series (it really bothers me when things stagnate).

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I agree Liz! This is why Kenyon's series is doing so well. She has stories with Dream Hunters, Dark Hunters, weres, and now the Dogs of war.

I can't wait to read about them, those books are going to be excellent.

message 13: by Kelley Anne (last edited Feb 09, 2009 03:32PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So, I am loving this series! But I have a question. I know that technically you can read any of them as stand alone, but it's better to read them in order. So, here's my question. The next 5 in order that I should read are:

The Dream-Hunter
Devil May Cry
Upon the Midnight Clear
Dream Chaser
Acheron

At the library I was able to get Devil May Cry and Acheron but it will probably be about a week or so before I could get the others. Will I really be missing a lot if I read those 2 now and then go back to the other 3, or would it be better if I waited?

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments The Dream Hunter and Upon the Midnight Clear and Dream Chaser are dream hunter novels, so you wont miss that much. The newest Dream Warrior needs to be read last though, because it has a lot of information on characters from the dark hunter books.

But I don't think there is that much that you will miss. It will most likely end up being that when you go back to read the books, you may already know something that may happen to a character.

Just a suggestion, read Devil May Cry before you read Acheron. It will make more sense that way, because some of the characters are in both.

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I would suggest waiting, because the series has gotten more integrated. You could probably read Devil May Cry before you read The Dream-Hunter, but read Acheron LAST. I repeat DO NOT read Acheron before the other books. You need knowledge of characters introduced in the Dreamhunter books before you read Acheron.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments i don't want to give anything away but i just finished dream warrior and it made me really curious about Jaden. i dont know i just started to wonder where she is going to go with his story.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments There are some hints about her plans for the series on her website. The hints tend to be more general and not spoiler-y.

www.dark-hunter.com

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah.. she said the first part was focused on Acheron, then the next would be focused on Jaden, then Savitar, and then someone we are not familiar with.

http://www.dailyinquisitor.com//hunte...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I am planning a re-read of the series. But I probably won't bother with the anthologies if they aren't readily aval. They are really fill-ins for what couldn't be told in a full story. More about the Were-Hunters and whatnot. Dragonswan is aval in the Tapestry antho. I believe.

message 20: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments **Possible Spoilers for Acheron**

So, I am just over halfway through Acheron and I am blown away by this one! I just got to the part where Acheron finds out about the creation of the Dark Hunters. As I've been reading this book, I keep wanting to start crying at all of the horrible things that he's going through!!! I'm really glad though that Sherrilyn Kenyon waited to really tell us most of Acheron's story. This way, we are already invested in him and care about him. It makes his past that much harder to hear! I am about ready to kill Artemis though!

I just keep thinking about some of the glimses that we got of Acheron and Artemis in the earlier books. I'm sure that this book will go into it more as well, I just haven't finished yet! lol, anyways, in some of the first books it showed how Artemis would lock Acheron up, and she would pull his hair and breath on the back of his neck. Those are all things that she KNOWS he hates! They are things that bring back all of those horrible memories, and yet she does it anyways! I mean, she claims that she loves him and wants him to love her again. Well, she sure as hell isn't going about it right!!!

I do have a question though. One of the things that I've enjoyed about this series is all of the greek mythology that is worked in. I remember bits and pieces of greek mythology from when I was in school, but I've forgotten most of it. Does anyone have any good references that I could check out to relearn about greek mythology? These books have peeked my interest in the subject again.

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments One way to learn more about the stories for Greek mythology is to pick up a copy of Mythology by Edith Hamilton. It's been around forever so you should be able to find it used or at a library easily.

Also while reading UF or PNR I will check my copy of The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings From Myth and Magic to get some background information on a specific creature. It adds to some of the stories, because authors rarely take 6 pages to describe a creature.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hi all,

I'm new here! I am on the 2nd book of the Dark Hunter Series and I have to say that Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my favorite authors so far. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

message 23: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments I have to reiterate that these must be read in order to really get the full effect of her storyline.

You learn alot about the characters she wishes you to know about if you read them in order.. so that when they reappear you arent confused and it makes the book so much better :D

message 24: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Welcome Michelle!

message 25: by Jess (last edited Feb 13, 2009 11:10AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Hi Michelle! Weclome to the group.

As everyone now knows.. I love Kenyon's series.. so I'm so happy that there are more people who are interested in her :)

Have people tried her other books, written under the pen name Kinley Macgregor.. those are also good. But it's more involved with the knights of the round table and such.

message 26: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Jess -

Thanks for the head up! I didn't know that she wrote another series. I'll have to check them out! How are they in comparison to the Dark Hunter series?

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments the series: Lords of Avalon I have read, and I enjoy them. There are three books, the newest Darkness Within is coming out in Feb I think and then there is one anthology.

Sword of Darkness
Knight of Darkness
Darkness within

I enjoyed the series, but definitely not as much as Dark Hunters. The stories are set within the time frame of the Knights of the Roundtable, and they are a little bit more fantasy than her Darkhunter series.

She also has a series called The League, which I have never read.

She also has a few other series, one of the more notable ones is her B.A.D one. - most are featured in anthologies. Here's some of the ones I know of, the full length novel is Bad Attitude (which is the one I read... not too bad):

Big Guns Out of Uniform
Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down
Bad Attitude
Born to be B.A.D.

This series isn't paranormal at all. It involves a secret government agency, and the story I read, one of the agents fell in love with someone she was supposed to be working with.

Here's Kenyon's website which has a ton more info than I could put in here lol.

http://www.dailyinquisitor.com/sherri...

message 28: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I have been hearing mixed review about the book One Silent Night. That's the one that I am currently waiting to get, so I was just wondering about everyones opinions of it.

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I remember enjoying it, but until I read the most recent Dream Hunter book, some of it didn't make sense. If you're a fan of Kenyon, it's defiantly worth the read.

message 30: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Is the Dream Hunter series any good? It seems like it always gets poor reviews?

message 31: by Kelley Anne (last edited Feb 19, 2009 06:40PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I've liked the ones that I've read so far. I don't like them as well as the dark-hunter and were-hunters, but I still think that they are important to the rest of the stories. There are characters that are in them that show up later on. Some of the people from The Dream-Hunter show up in Acheron. I really loved Dream Chaser. It's main character is first introduced in Devil May Cry, and I still haven't read Dream Warrior.

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I don't like it as much as the books about the Dark Hunters or the Were-Hunters, but the Dream Hunter books are necessary to understand all the characters and such in the other two series. So I would recommend reading them.

message 33: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Wow my tbr list just grew by a lot :>
Thanks for the suggestion I just started reading her and I am only on Night Embrace, I think I am hooked I really want to read Ash's story and Zarek.

message 34: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, yeah, they are addicting! I just started them last month and just finished Acheron. I love them! Zarek has a great story too.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I have been hearing mixed review about the book [b:One Silent Night|3122173|One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter, #23)|Sherrilyn Kenyon|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I......"

I neither loved nor hated OSN. She starts changing the rules on us in this one, which is interesting, but I'm not sure... I know a lot of people really enjoyed it though, but at the same time I have a friend who hated it and wouldn't even finish it. I think her reaction was over the top LOL, but it does show how passionate people are about the series. I think that if you intend to carry on with the series, then you should definitely read it to understand the changes, as it was one of those books that sets up further stories, IMHO.

message 36: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Thanks Nicole! That's kinda what I was wondering. I already have Dream Warrior and was thinking about skipping One Silent Night, but it sounds like I probably shouldn't do that! Thanks!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I haven't picked up Dream Warrior yet, as I've always been put off by the bad reviews of the Dream Hunter books in general (although I've read and enjoyed Dream Chaser), but I understand it covers a lot for how the direction of the different story arcs are going to go, so I'll have to get it soon. I'll be pre-ordering Bad Moon Rising though - although it's in hardback - because I love the Were Hunters.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I read One Silent Night, and I liked it because although the story was too short, it allowed us to see into characters. I could care less about Stryker and his new woman, but I liked seeing Nick and Acheron, and more of Tory. Plus there was that whole thing with Savitar and Apollymi. I don't know if people caught the sexual tension going on there lol.

Dream Warrior I thought was really good. I usually don't like the Dream books as much as the Dark hunter ones, but this I liked because the stories melded together. You saw so much of Nick and Ash, that it was like reading a hunter book.

Although they did bring back characters from my most despised hunter book (Upon the Midnight Clear - ugh gag me), I still loved it.

I like how Kenyon is leading the series in a slightly different direction because this allows for the readers to not become bored by books that are all the same. Can't wait to read Bad Moon Rising... I don't want to buy a hardcover though. so I might just get it from the library, even though I own all the others in the series.

message 39: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments **Spoilers for One Silent Night**

So I just finished listening to One Silent Night. First off, for those of you that like audio books, I DON'T recommend this one!!! I love audio books, and for the most part I'm not too picky about the readers, but this guy was horrible!!! If it hadn't been for the fact that I was at work and didn't have any other books with me to listen to, I probably would have stopped and waited until I could read the paperback.

Now as for the book. It was probably one of my least favorite in the series, but it was important I think for the story line. A lot of things changed that I think are probably going to be important coming up. As for Stryker and Zephyra, they are both so freaking annoying! Yeah, yeah, yeah, they've had it tough. Daddy didn't like Stryker. Wah, Wah. Get over it! Just because you were treated bad doesn't give you the right to treat people the way that you do! They are such hypocrites! Stryker is pissed off that his entire race was cursed because a few people killed Acheron's sister (sorry can't spell names when I listen to audio books). But it's alright to damn and kill all humans because of what a few of them do? And Stryker needs to grow up! His entire vendeta agains Acheron is all because "Apollymi likes him better than me! So I'm just going to pout and hate him!" What a freaking baby!

Of course, like father like daughter! Stryker's daughter drove me crazy! She acted like a spoiled little kid. "Eww! I don't want to see you kiss, that's gross, boys have coties!" Is she or is she not 11,000 years old, been married and had a kid of her own? You would think that maybe, just maybe, she could act like a grownup.

I did enjoy the parts with Acheron and Nick and am glad to hear that they play a big part in the next book.

Anyways, thanks for putting up with my rant!

message 40: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I recently was reading Born of the Night, the first League series book, it was SO Bad I could not finish it. I do NOT recommend it.

message 41: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Hello::i'm new here,but so glad i found this site::i'm a big fan of the Dark Hunter/dream hunter/were-hunter books::i started with Acheron and enjoyed it soooooomuch that i've gone back to the start of the series and i'm now reading in order::i'm interspering the books with J R wards BDB series::anyway my current book is The Dream Hunter so far i've loved every page::i did have reservations as i've read some not so good reviews about this series i supose at the end of the day it's down to what rocks your boat so to speak:: i also like the way the characters flow from one story to another:: i read quite quickly so i hope to get up to date with the series soon.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Welcome Adrienne! You're going to LOVE the Dark Hunter series! I've just recently finished readying up to date and I am patiently waiting for the next book. =)

message 43: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Thanks Michelle:: i've finished The Dream Hunter and really enjoyed it as it's set in greece::love all that sort of stuff:: I took a part time classical civ coursse at college years ago and unfortuneatly I've got a bit rusty with it all tho', so i suppose thats why i enjoy these books so much:: i thought i was reading them in order but now i'm beginning to wonder::in the last Dark Hunter i read Nick Gautier was gone to the shade but in The Dream Hunter he's still alive and Zarek is still on his own altho i think the Dream Hunter must be set at the same time as Z and Astrids story?? can someone give me an idea of the correct reading order please.

message 44: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Not including the short stories, but including all of the dark-hunter, dream-hunter and were-hunter books, this is the order:

1 - Fantasy Lover
2 - Night Pleasures
3 - Night Embrace
4 - Dance with the Devil
5 - Kiss of the Night
6 - Night Play
7 - Seize the Night
8 - Sins of the Night
9 - Unleash the Night
10 - Dark Side of the Moon
11 - The Dream-Hunter
12 - Devil May Cry
13 - Upon the Midnight Clear
14 - Dream Chaser
15 - Acheron
16 - One Silent Night
17 - Dream Warrior

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Thanks, Kelley Anne! This series confuses me, so that's really helpful. :)

message 46: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Yeah, but it's a great series! I raced through them so fast, couldn't stop reading them!

message 47: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Thanks Kelley Anne for the list now i know which direction i'm going in :) originally i was going to read just the Dark HUnter stories but now I think i'll read all the books in the order above::by the way did you find a greek myths book?::did you by any chance learn anciet greek?

message 48: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oo I love that everyone is reading this series!!!! :)

message 49: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I did find a book about greek myths, but I am ashamed to say that I've yet to read it! lol! I asked some librarians and booksellers for what the best book about mythology would be and was told to pick up Mythology by Edith Hamilton. I was told that most schools use this book when they are teaching mythology. It looks really good, but I got distracted by other books and haven't read it yet.

message 50: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just a heads up, I just saw that Acheron is going to be coming out in paperback at the end of the month. That's one of the few that I haven't bought yet, because I was able to get the audiobook of it. So I'm excited to add it to the rest that I've already gotten!

« previous 1 3 4