*YA Awesomeness* discussion

Debates > Bookstore VS Library

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca, The Mind Behind The Awesomeness. And Lover of Penguins. (new)

Becca (BeccaTheAwesomeOne) | 365 comments Mod
Which do you prefer? The bookstore or the library? Talk amongst yourselfs about it HERE!

message 2: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 49 comments Bookstore all the way. I worked in a library and I hated it so much, it was so...upsetting. People just went there to use facebook for free or to let their kids run around screaming. I would see maybe three people actually reading/borrowing books. I don't like libraries at all--also, I love having my own books. It's the only thing I spend money on other then movies.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I actually quite like the libraries I use. I use three different libraries and I've had the opposite experience to Triv. My local one does have quite a few people using computers but there are also a lot of people reading and studying since you have to book computers for limited sessions. Also I can reserve books for free there and I borrow a lot of movies from there due to that. I quite like the other library I use as fiction books not at my local library tend to be found there. Then there's my uni library which allows me to borrow very old and hard to find materials for research and entertainment.

I do love having my own books but because I read so many books I like to try things out without buying them. I usually only buy books that I want to read over and over again (and that look good on shelves - the aesthetics of books are important).

message 4: by JazzyJams (new)

JazzyJams | 183 comments Mod
I love the library. The one by my house has the same thing as Jonathan's with limited sessions on the computer. You only get a couple hours at max, and then you're done. Although I do see quite a lot of people there studying and reading. Borrowing is free (but isn't it always?), as long as you bring it back within 2-3 weeks. A major plus-side with my library is it's actually a system of libraries within the city. Meaning there is at least 20 libraries, and they all share books, meaning the amount of books you can borrow isn't limited!

I like owning my own books, but as a person who has not yet passed driving age, I rarely have the money, or the time to go to a bookstore. Plus whenever I go into a books store, I want to get a pile of books that I can't afford :(

message 5: by Becca, The Mind Behind The Awesomeness. And Lover of Penguins. (new)

Becca (BeccaTheAwesomeOne) | 365 comments Mod
Librariws are okay, but I don't like the 'mystery spots' kn most books.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd say bookstore, but I usually have no money, so I tend to go to the library....

message 7: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 49 comments Jonathan wrote: "I actually quite like the libraries I use. I use three different libraries and I've had the opposite experience to Triv. My local one does have quite a few people using computers but there are also..."

There's this scholarship that my friend won where part of it meant that she got free access to Melbourne Uni library (and other things like lectures and facilites) in year 10 and onwards. We are all very jealous--the resources she has!

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (Eiyah_Fantasyfreak) | 1 comments Tough, I prefer the library because it's for free but some of the books can't be found there so I usually go to the bookstore. Plus, I kinda want to take the book home...

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika Well I prefer my library because it has such a great selection even e books, and in b&n they only let me read once hour for free on my nook.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Triv wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I actually quite like the libraries I use. I use three different libraries and I've had the opposite experience to Triv. My local one does have quite a few people using computers b..."

You should be able to use some resources of university libraries even if you're not at the uni. I think there is some way of being able to borrow books or things from there as a visitor at Deakin (you can get a uni card by buying it to borrow) although some books are limited to uni students who need to research topics.