What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: boy wanting dog getting bird losing bird... [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Hi Everybody. Thought I'd ask even though have tried unsuccessfully with others previously. Had a children's book that was around in the early/mid 1960's about a boy who wanted a dog but got a bird and did not appreciate the bird at all. Then the bird flew away - left because it was not happy/loved, and after the bird left, it was only then that the boy realized the companionship the bird offered. Was wondering if anybody could remember or find the title for this one. Thanks for any help at all. Lisa

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Rachel | 1 comments I think that's "Do You Love Me?" by Dick Gackenbach.

That's what it sounds like, but the story line is a little different, so maybe not.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments No, Rachel, I checked that book and it isn't the book. But thanks for trying. Nobody I've every talked with has ever heard of this book and I've never been able to find it. But I'm hoping somebody here might know it. Thank you for trying.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments one bump

Krista? :-) Anyone?

Thanks so much.

message 5: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Cathy do you remember what age the book is for -- i.e., is it a picture book or for young adults, etc??

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments It was given to me & I read it when I was 9 or 10. I assume it's for the 8-12 crowd or more likely, the 7-10 year old crowd. It was a text book, although there might have been illustrations, but it was not a picture book, but it was for kids, not ya or adults. Thanks.

message 7: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 104 comments Well, it could be The Traveling Bird by Robert Burch (c1959). Here's the plot summary, from Children's Literature Comprehensive Database: "The parakeet Dave receives as a gift not only talks but realizes that Dave would rather have had a dog and sets about helping him find one."

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Krista,

You're amazing. Thank you so much!!! I don't think I'd have ever found it/been looking for decades.

This has got to be it. I will try to find a copy and check it out. See copies for sale but will check all my libraries first.