The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Chris , Max or Luke?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments OK so if you had to pick one that Lorelai actually married who would you want her to be with?

I would have to pick Luke. Man is he some good eye candy and they are so perfect for each other. It still kills me that Luke didn't tell Lorelai about about his daughter

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Luke's daughter was bad, bad writing.

Torn! I still liked Chris! Remember when he rode in on his motorcycle? And when Lorelai called him from her bachelorette party (for her we-knew-she'd-break-it-off engagement to Max?)

Ugh. Reluctantly, Team Luke.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Luke! He's tolerant of Lorelai's crazy ways, has always been there for her no matter what, and it was obvious he was in love with her from the start. Plus he's quite a looker. Chris was always a flake and bailed on Lorelai and Rory many a time. I did like Max but he definitely didn't get Lorelai. Luke and Lorelai 4eva!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Luke, although I really liked Chris until the last season. I think Chris "got" Lorelai the best out of all of them. But it was obvious from the first episode that Luke was the one for Lorelai.

message 5: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Well, they all had their good points, and I personally think Christopher is adorable! But, I can't get past Luke keeping that souvenir from their first meeting, eight years earlier.
And I know someone mentioned this on another thread, but, wasn't Luke's kid basically Rory Jr? That irritated me. Yeah, he can have a smart kid, but she Looked and Talked just like Rory would have at 12, 13 or something.

message 6: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Luke, though I haven't seen the whole series yet and he did seem a bit curmudgeonly in Season 6.

Also, I read somewhere that his part was originally written for a woman but that they decided they needed more guys on the show. The chemistry between the two actors decided the rest.

message 7: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I just can't be a real Chris fan after he married that wacko. I think Max was pretty sweet. But I missed enough here and there with living abroad, etc., that I can't say for certain. However, from the start, I liked Luke for Lorelai.

But don't you think she could have found real happiness with any one of the three if she'd really committed (because you know she had real feelings for all of them)? Okay, not with Chris when they finally did get together, because that was a total broken-heart, guilt-ridden rebound. But if it had happened before... ?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I notice Jason Stiles isn't even an option on this poll... I couldn't stand that character.

message 9: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Gosh I forgot about Jason.Hehe I guess he wasn't the one.
Okay when I first got into the show I could totally tell the chemistry between Luke and Lorelai and was all for it.It took way too many seasons for it to get going though.So I changed and wanted her with Chris but was so happy when they finally did get a relationship.It was so cute especially when Rory and her mom weren't talking.My oldest dd wanted her with Chris.

message 10: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments Ooo Jason sorry I forgot. I have been watching Season 2 and 3 a lot lately

message 11: by Jenna (last edited Dec 20, 2007 10:43PM) (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments I love the dynamic between Lore and Chris. Their whole past and "us against the world" relationship was always very sweet to me. I can't say I liked what the writers did to his character at the end of the series.Turning Stars Hallow against him? I don't know...

Clearly, well to me it was clear,Luke and Lore were meant to be together ever since season one. Luke is great but I always wondered while wacthing: how much can a man REALLY take??? Those Gilmores were such a handfull afterall.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Chris...I love Luke, but think he is better suited to the best friend/coffee provider role. Chris is a part of their family and willing to be with Lore despite her quirkiness. I was so bummed when they got divorced...almost made me stop watching the show.

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon Doyle | 4 comments Listen, it has to be Luke. On so many levels. Of course Chris knows L. best. They come from the same world. The same world that L. flees from. Luke represents everything L. becomes in order to free herself from Emily and the Gilmore name (Rory brings it all back and completes the circle, but that's another thread...). Unlike Mr. Gilmore and Chris, Luke is made for her. That doesn't means he understands her the best, but that is what the next forty years is all about. He puts up with her, finds her unique ways amusing, is always there, no matter the circumstances (something the Gilmore clan or Chris does not do) and, except for lame April, is always up front. Luke is the man. As a man myself, he is who I want to be most like, so I might be bias.

Yes, some of us men watched GG.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Great point about Chris being part of the world Lorelai didn't want. Although Chris didn't want to be part of that world either.

Aaaaand now I have the Little Mermaid stuck in my head. Great.

message 15: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Hahaha on the Little Mermaid song! When I was a teacher of music, art, drama, & dance, that was a song frequently used in class. But I love it!

Jondice77, really great points and explanation. I wholeheartedly agree... well, except about the being a man part. 'Cause I'm not. A man. Heh.

message 16: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Oh, and you should post more often! We could use a man's perspective around here!

message 17: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I agree Lukes daughter was just, bad. That was beginning of 'the end' for me I have to admit. When I first saw the story line developing I was like 'no way, they aren't going to do something THAT soap opera-y are they?'. I was disappointed in that. It was such a cop out way of ending stuff.

Luke, one hundred percent Luke. He's that constant in her life and has been for so long, doesn't anybody remember when Suki tells Lorelai that Luke is into her in Season 2, and she goes to Luke and says that whole speech about how there are very few people that are in her life for the rest of her life and she always knows no matter what will be there and Luke agrees with her that he's one of those people? Gah, get's me every time.

Chris was...a beautiful life to me. No matter how much his character grew, he always was like a little kid in a man's world. I think Lorelai knew that. No matter how much he appeared to grow and change, he didn't change much and at the heart was the same Christopher she always knew and I think that's why she KNEW it wouldn't work.

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Luke. Always, always Luke.

Why?

1. The kiss. Lorelai's had some great kisses in this series, but the absolute best kiss was after Emily told him to go back to Lorelai and she would butt out. And Lorelai is sitting on the sofa watching Judy Garland sing in "A Star is Born" and he rings the doorbell. She answers. And he just walks in and sweeps her off her feet with one heck of kiss. What woman doesn't dream of a kiss like that?

2. The dog. Lorelai returning to Luke's to learn that the dog had gotten into some baking chocolate. Knowing that was probably bad, Luke took him to the vet's. But the vet was closed. So he found out where the vet lived. After waking the vet up and pretty much forcing him to examine the dog, he went home and made scrambled eggs for the dog because the vet told him to feed him something "light". Why? Because Luke knew that with Lorelai's past of killing animals, she would have been devastated if anything bad happened to Paul Anka (the dog, not the person).

3. The ice rink. Because he felt bad that Lorelai and snow had a falling out and thought this might help patch things up.

But mostly, because while I agree that Chris "got" Lorelai in ways that Luke never could, that is more what friends, best friends, are for. But in a marriage, for a spouse, you want a partner--someone who will stand by you in the good and the bad, who will do all those little things without you having to ask, who will go to the parties even though he hates them, play golf with your dad because it will make a good impression, and let your mom criticize you in a totally passive agressive way and still want to date you. But also who will love your kid like his own before there was ever a chance that something could happen between the two of you. Luke was Lorelai's rock and partner and friend. And it was their differences as well as their similarities that made them such a wonderful couple.

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan And I will never forgive the writers for making them all such jerks (making Sherry pregnant then abandoning their baby? Chris marrying Lorelai after she was engaged to Luke and then turning him into a jerk because he was jealous? Having Luke keep April from Lorelai?) I love Amy, but I did not understand why somethings couldn't just leave well enough alone. Either put Lorelai with Chris (and therefore no Sherry) or put her with Luke (and therefore no marrying Chris and raising Gigi). Or give her a guy worthy of her (a Max-ish personality with a Jason Stiles kind of money).

message 20: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Okay, um, that last post sounded way, WAY soap opera-ey... even knowing the show I think so!

message 21: by Ally (new)

Ally Kelly (akfantasywriter) | 3 comments Luke.

He knows Lorelai (and Rory) the best next to Chris, and even Chris doesn't know Lorelai AS well as Luke because he hasn't been around in her life as often as Luke. Luke and Lorelai are also so cute together. Chris is cute in looks, but Luke is cute in looks and personality.

message 22: by Shaindel (new)

Shaindel | 54 comments I can't believe that I'm posting this... I feel like I should be walking around with a notebook with "Skid Row" written on the cover inside a heart.

LUKE! I mean, Luke's the big, blue collar guy. He FIXES stuff, and he supplies her with coffee.

Just given my life experience, those are the things that matter. Chris is unstable. Max is too nice (hence my love for Wuthering Heights). Luke's totally where it's at. Lorelei needs someone who can be loving and put up with her craziness but let her know it's bull$-- when she's gone too far.

And he has the least messed up relationship with Rory. Chris would give her the impression that Prince Charmins is always there waiting to come back, Max would give her the impression that her mom has no boundaries. Luke's safe... And looks really cuddly in flannel.

message 23: by Ghislaine (new)

Ghislaine | 2 comments Definitely Luke. I was really disappointed with the "Luke has a daughter" storyline. I was really hoping for a Luke-Lorelai wedding by the end of the series and I think if the time hadn't been wasted with that storyline, we might have gotten it. Oh well. They definitely had many of the best moments of the series. My favorite was their first kiss at the Dragonfly run-through. Kirk running by in the nude with night terrors was the icing on the cake.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm actually glad we didn't end with a wedding. The show is called Gilmore GIRLS, not Gilmore Boyfriends, and I thought there was always too much focus on the girls' love lives.

message 25: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Yeah, I'm glad that there wasn't a wedding in the finale, but it would have been nice to have Lorelai be married (I do not count her whatever with Chris).

But the love lives ARE a part of them, just as yours is to you. But I agree, sometimes it felt like it kind of got in the way. However, I think that's what made it "real". How many of us have or had girlfriends who's new relationship made them MIA for a while? One of my favorite mini stories is when Rory is newly dating Dean and Lane is going through her crush and because Rory isn't around to help listen to her she ends up brushing her hand through his hair. I was upset that Rory wasn't there for Lane, but it was so natural.

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 6 comments Luke, from the beginning.

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chlover) | 2 comments Okay, I haven't seen the last season, and everyone's saying how Chris isn't such a good character in that season, but I really like him. Luke isn't right for Lorelai. Chris knows her (they have that witticism going) and he just knows her better.

Team Chris (though I don't know the entire story, maybe you know something I don't)

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wenzday01) | 17 comments I was a big fan of Chris until Luke and Lorelai got together.

I loved Chris because they've known each other for so long and they had Rory together and there was just something that really clicked about them. But then they got married and that didn't work out.

And then Luke and Lorelai. They were just so great together, so much chemistry, so much (sexual and non-sexual) tension that just made them work!

It's kind of interesting to me that Max was added to the question. He was only around the first couple of seasons! I guess that means from middle of season two onward, Lorelai only went out on dates from strangers and then was back and forth with Chris and Luke.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Well, there was Jason. He was actually billed as a series regular for a while there.

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments LUKE! LUKE! LUKE! Although I wish he was real and then I would say Chris, so I could keep Luke for myself!

First, Luke, well he is just hot. Second, he was always there for her. Third, I know that people have obstacles and all but if she was really supposed to have been with Chris it shouldn't have been THAT ridiculously hard! I mean, come on! And Luke appreciated Lorelai's quirks, really loved her for them. But he balanced her, and she needed that balance, as we all do I think.

And he is the most romantic character ever! That moment when he is listening to that tape on finding love and he is supposed to visualize the person and he realizes who it was, that was great. And their numerous first kisses, the first one on the night of the opening of the Dragonfly, and after they broke up and got back together, the one Meghan described. They were just RIGHT. When her and Chris kissed, well there was just no spark for me!

SO LUKE! Unless I can have him....

message 31: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I thought she and Jason were fun. He was quirky in totally different ways from her, but was totally into her. I liked it.

Still say Luke. From episode one on, they had something amazing brewing. Their concern and support was always there. Plus, there was always something smoldering. Something strong. Emily saw it before they ever did. She hated it, but she saw it.

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Jan 10, 2008 11:36AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm definitely team Luke. But I'm watching "Lorelai's Graduation Day" and I must say the basket Christopher sent to her was perfect.

message 33: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I know. Lorelai and Chris had such a deep-seeded connection. He was the original go-to boy when her parents were driving her nuts at sixteen. I still love it when she calls him from her bachelorette party.

message 34: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Well, I'm about 1/2 way or more through season one, and already I have to say TEAM LUKE.

Max has given me the heeby-jeebies since he was introduced. He looks about 10 or 20 years older than Lorelai, but that wouldn't matter if he just didn't make my skin crawl. I can't really put my finger on it. Watching him flirt with her in the little coffee shop by the school and touching her just grossed me out.

Chris, being a high school sweetheart, is just out of the question. Plus the history of coming and going and being irresponsible with money.

Luke is like that perfect combination of being a regular guy, yet frequently accidentally showing his sentimental side. And he and Lorelai just seem to fit. Okay, and he's really cute, although I didn't like him in the sweater that Lorelai bought him at 6 trillion% off.

So I repeat--TEAM LUKE!

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 10 comments well, I have a hard time chooseing, I did like Max he was a really good guy and was really good with Rory but him and Lorelai just didn't fit, Chris was great but I agree he was a bit flaky, those two will always be close, but I'm all for Luke, he has always loved Lorelai and he is a great father figure for Rory he was also so protective the way a father should be.

Lorelai and Luke will always be the perfect match.

message 36: by Meghan (last edited Jan 26, 2008 12:11PM) (new)

Meghan Robbie - You need to watch the tv movie "10th Kingdom". It stars Scott Cohen (aka Max). It's the show that made me fall in love with him. He's really great in it. It maybe help with your Max issues. I love Scott Cohen, but I do have to agree I wasn't really thrilled with Max.

SPOILER

I was glad they phased him out but I was kind of sad that she just walked out like that. There are times in this show where you just have to wonder what was she thinking?

message 37: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 16 comments LUKE!!! Definatly Luke!! Geez, I hate Chris!

message 38: by Emily (new)

Emily I really really really liked the Luke and Lorelai story line until she slept with Christopher during a fight with Luke. That just pissed me off and I thought she was too stupid for Luke and he could do better. But I was into Rory and Logan so I kept watching! :)

message 39: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 26, 2008 07:34PM) (new)

SEASON 1 SPOILER!

Yeah, the writers had no problem reminding us that Lorelai and Rory were flawed, just like us. They both made a bunch of bad decisions. I mean, they were never tragically bad. I felt like they were using some of their bad choices to reveal a little bit more about their characters. (Like Lorelai running out on Max, rather than facing it head on, for one example. That was actually kind of cruel, to me. But that's what she did--she ran.)

message 40: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (abqnorby6) I would have loved her to marry Luke because they could banter off each other and they didn't take each other too seriously. But once she married Chris, I really wanted it to work. It was too bad that her only marriage turned into divorce.

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Had a Max sighting last night on a preview for Cashmere Mafia. I have no desire in watching the show but I would tune in for a look at the delicious Max Medina!

message 42: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Funny. Did anyone watch Cashmere Mafia? Is it any good. I do like Lucy Liu.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, I've been watching it. It's okay. I love Lucy too. And Miranda Otto is amazing and beautiful. The blond character (don't know the actress' name) reminds me of Samantha on Sex and the City when she was dating Maria the artist. I don't get it, if they're going to have a lesbian character, why not have a character who's actually a lesbian rather than just trying out the girlfriend thing like it's a new pair of shoes? And then flirting with men? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Miranda Otto's my favorite.

message 44: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I like Cashmere Mafia. Maybe because I don't have girlfriend who have lasted in their various stages of life that I really enjoy watching ones who stayed committed as these women have. Same with Women's Murder Club... maybe not the best show ever, and it has driven me insane at times with it wrongly spoken "local" slang, but I really love the girlfriends thing. WMC has shown more depth of character than CM, though.

But I adore Lucy Lui. I've long been partial to Miranda Otto and Frances O'Connor as well. The blonde actress annoys me, but I get her character. I get the curiosity and discovery and trying it out with a woman. I totally get the ambiguity of trying to understand yourself in all of that. She makes total sense to me. Which completely frustrates me since as I said, I really don't like the actress and even the character is a bit annoying. (At least in figuring all that out she doesn't have to worry about friends or family ditching her. That's pretty great.)

The other thing about CM is that they all always look FABULOUS. That's always fun to watch! But most of all, I love that it shows really successful women. It shows the sacrifices that being one can take - the tolls it can demand. It realistically shows that "having it all" is a myth.

I would agree with Sarah that it is and "okay" show... but at the same time I've obviously enjoyed watching it. Then again, I'm so partial to Lucy, I'd be hard-pressed not to!

message 45: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Megan:
I don't know if you read my posts earlier about Max giving my the creeps. (Still can't explain it.)

Anyway, I think on the night of your Max sighting, our remote must have gotten bumped and the channel was switched away from whatever I was watching, only I didn't realize it at first. (I was probably watching one or another mutation of Law & Order.) My husband laughed at me because, I said, "Eeew, that's Max. I hate Max!" I'm not sure why I used the word hate, because my feelings aren't really that strong. I spent several minutes trying to figure out how he fit into the plot, then finally figured out, with relief, that I was on the wrong channel.

I hope it doesn't give any of you the creeps to know that Max gives me the creeps.

message 46: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Nope. Still dig him here.

message 47: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Feb 14, 2008 05:21AM) (new)

I thought Max was fine (points for being Literature teacher) until he started to tell Lorelai how to raise Rory...asking her should she be on the porch with Dean and all that. It was downhill from there...

message 48: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 1 comments Luke, Luke, Luke! I want to watch the episode of their first night together over & over -- him & his chest in bed! Yum!

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Alison, I thought that was a pretty realistic way of how a new step parent would feel. What exactly is his authority? Especially since Max is a teacher. He's used to being in charge. I think it would be a difficult adjustment.

message 50: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I thought it was interesting in that scene that Lorelai said Rori was already raised, or something like that. Of course, she probably feels that way in part because she was already out and on her own at Rori's age.

« previous 1 3