Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Karen A. Wyle
This topic is about Karen A. Wyle
III. Goodreads Readers > Need reaction to a possible title

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 237 comments I need reactions to a possible title. I won't go into what the book is about. If you saw a book called The Story of Our Days, then:
--what subject matter/genre would you expect?
--what associations would the title have in your mind?
--would you be bored, intrigued, or something else?
Thanks!

message 2: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (JadeVarden) | 42 comments Romance springs to mind. Maybe some long-winded, saga type thing.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin Wilkerson | 25 comments I think of a romance-y suspense time story, kind of like a daytime soap opera as a book.

I would be bored by it because I'm not into romance books and just from the title (as you requested) that is what I would think it was.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I would think it was a life story, memoir or a biography. I wouldn't be bored, because I like to know about the life of others. I wouldn't be excited about the title though, whatever the genre was.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 237 comments Based on feedback here and elsewhere, I've shelved (so to speak) that title. Back to reading poetry looking for a rhyme that resonates. . . . Thanks, all!

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Richards | 27 comments Karen, may I ask what's the time setting of your book? It might help you find an appropriate allusion.

message 7: by Grampy (new)

Grampy (goodreadscomGrampy) Pam wrote: "Karen, may I ask what's the time setting of your book? It might help you find an appropriate allusion."

Karen - I know you've already decided to shelve the title, but I had to get in my 2 cents worth. What first came to my mind was a retrospective journey through the tumultuous '60's, but from the POV of a non-participant... somebody who was around then, but observing from the sidelines (like me). And, yes, I do believe it would interest me, and certainly intrigue me. (Just so you know somebody liked the title!)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 237 comments That's a somewhat tricky question to answer, since the book is set in an afterlife. Most of the characters lived and died in roughly contemporary times; a couple are from the 19th century (in Spain).

Pam wrote: "Karen, may I ask what's the time setting of your book? It might help you find an appropriate allusion."

message 9: by John (new)

John Grier | 4 comments Based on the brief description of the book's content, I would be tempted to go with something like.....Reflections from the Grave, perhaps with your original title as a subtitle.

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 14 comments I think it would depend on the cover to be honest. The title itself seems kind of bland, but combined with the right visual imagry--ie battle grounds or sailing ships or something--it might catch my attention.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Karen wrote: "I need reactions to a possible title. I won't go into what the book is about. If you saw a book called The Story of Our Days, then:
--what subject matter/genre would you expect?
--what associations..."

Without knowing the genre, it's hard to say. After seeing your short description, I have to say that this title just does not grab me.

message 12: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 179 comments It's always worth doing a web search on possible titles to see if another author has used it. (I have and it has.)

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 237 comments I do search Amazon re any possible title (which has made clear that many authors don't mind reusing existing titles, although I prefer to avoid it). I have six or seven pages of possible titles, with notes re previous uses of all of them . . . .

I've finally settled on Wander Home. If, as I expect, I eventually write another book set in the same afterlife, then the series name will be Stranger Shore. (Lots of people liked that name as the book title, but it struck me as more about the setting than about the story.)

message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (HelenLaycock) | 121 comments I haven't read any of the comments, so that I can respond directly to your question without being influenced.

From your title I would assume that the book is a non-fiction, historical, autobiographical/biographical account by the author, perhaps spanning generations. It would not be a title I would be drawn to, because of what I assume the subject matter to be.

Now I'm going to read the comments which precede mine . . .

Oh, you've ditched it!

I'll post anyway!!!

message 15: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot what subject matter/genre would you expect?-romance, family saga, women's fiction, that sort of thing or a non fiction historical biography

-what associations would the title have in your mind?-'this book is not for me'

--would you be bored, intrigued, or something else?- I wouldn't be interested in picking up a book with that title to find out more