2013 Nicholas Sparks Challenge (from Debra's Book Cafe) discussion

Message in a Bottle
This topic is about Message in a Bottle
Discussion - Message in a Bottle

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Debra (DebrasBookCafe) | 82 comments Mod
This is where you can discuss everthing about Message in a Bottle.

Sowmya's book world (RaniBibliophile) | 9 comments This is the first book of my life with which i developed the habit of reading. very delight full book. Really amazing.

Sowmya's book world wrote: "This is the first book of my life with which i developed the habit of reading. very delight full book. Really amazing."

It is such a great book... I had a similar experience with The Wedding... It was the book that made me fall in love with Sparks' writing.... :-)

Sowmya's book world (RaniBibliophile) | 9 comments hmm.. . i have missed "the wedding so far "

Kathy (ebookkat) (ebookkat) | 13 comments I finished "Message in the Bottle" late last night. What a great book! I have become a huge Nicholas Sparks fan! I am glad I will be reading all of his books this year! Thanks again Debra for inviting me to join the 2013 Nicholas Sparks challenge!

Kathy (ebookkat) wrote: "I finished "Message in the Bottle" late last night. What a great book! I have become a huge Nicholas Sparks fan! I am glad I will be reading all of his books this year! Thanks again Debra for invit..."

Now that was speedy Kathy! I am so pleased that you really enjoyed Message in a Bottle, its such a great story. I can get easily swept away in just the Dear Catherine letters alone... Thanks so much for taking part and I am so happy to know that you are enjoying his books so far... :-)

Darlene I love the quote "I am nothing special of that I am sure ....". It was on page four of my edition. Truly a love that stands the test of time. I am looking forward to watching the movie now.

Kouk I just finished Message in a bottle.
This was another wonderfull read!
It was so beautiful, Garrett's letters to his deceased wife Catherine really touched me!

(view spoiler)

I'm now going to read A walk to remember!

Kouk Kathy (ebookkat) wrote: "I finished "Message in the Bottle" late last night. What a great book! I have become a huge Nicholas Sparks fan! I am glad I will be reading all of his books this year! Thanks again Debra for invit..."

Hi Kathy,
Great to meet another Nicholas Sparks fan!

Glad to read that you loved the book and i wish you happy reading with his other books as well!

Kathy (ebookkat) (ebookkat) | 13 comments Kouk wrote: "Kathy (ebookkat) wrote: "I finished "Message in the Bottle" late last night. What a great book! I have become a huge Nicholas Sparks fan! I am glad I will be reading all of his books this year! Tha..."

Thanks Kouk! I hope you enjoy all the other Nicholas Sparks books too. I will start to read "A Walk to Remember" tonight.

Elizabeth (lizzinikkii) This wasn't my favorite Sparks book, but it was still a fantastic love story that he always writes.

Darlene I just finished "Mesage in a Bottle" and I can't wait to get started on "A Walk to Remeber". I am enjoying this group, but I need to catch up with the rest of you.

Darlene wrote: "I just finished "Mesage in a Bottle" and I can't wait to get started on "A Walk to Remeber". I am enjoying this group, but I need to catch up with the rest of you."

Im just doing the reverse, Ive just finished A Walk to Remember and will be reading Message in a bottle this week lol! :-)

Published: 1st April 1998
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Goodreads : Click here
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Review: 10 out of 10

Out of all of the books written by Nicholas Sparks, this one has a very special place in my heart. This is the story that introduced me initially to the wonderfulness that is Nicholas Sparks. I have to admit that it was not the book that brought me in, it was the movie that I watched first (absolutely love Kevin Costner lol!). I fell in love with the story and when I realised that it was a book, I had to read that story and the rest, as they say, is history.

What I loved about this story...

What can I say, I absolutely love the way that Nicholas Sparks packs his story full of emotion, right from the beginning. There are two characters to follow in this story. The first being Theresa who at the beginning of the story we see that she is living with her son, having split up from her husband. Her son is going to spend time with his father, which leaves Theresa spending some 'me time' at the beach staying with good friend. This is when she discovers the message in a bottle, which to me seems to appear at the moment she needs it the most. The second character is, of course, Garrett. When we first see him in the story, he is suffering great pain from the loss of his wife and struggling to cope. I loved the character progressions of Theresa and Garrett.

What I was not fond of in this story...

Absolutely nothing!

Movie -v- Book....

As mentioned above, this is the first book/movie I read/watched by Nicholas Sparks so they will both mean a lot to me. With this story, I would have to say that I enjoy both the book and the movie equally (which is really rare for me to say about movie -v- book situations). Between the book and the movie, there are subtle differences in the story which, for me, gives each an 'edge' which makes it slightly different from the other...

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Ifer's Inklings (only4lightn) I had such a hard time reading this book. It just did NOT grab my attention and hold it like most of his books do. It was okay, don't get me wrong, but it took me almost 6 weeks to read it.

Now, the last 25% really made me not want to put the book down and I bawled like a baby for the last 5%. :)

Sameer khan (sksameer527) | 1 comments I completed the book today and i realized that true love never fades away. This book was more about Garrets eternal love than Theresa.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Sksameer527 wrote: "I completed the book today and i realized that true love never fades away. This book was more about Garrets eternal love than Theresa."

Well said. Love is forever!