This topic is about The Chocolate War
The Chocolate War Discussion > Initial Reactions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think so far?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Wow, I thought I was going to love this book but I simply cannot get interested. I might try I Am the Cheese at some point and I'm leaving this on my to-read list, at least for now, but I'm not going to end up reading this with the group. Maybe next month's book.

Alicia (brittaread) This one grew on me.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Alicia, I might end up liking it but I have so many library books out and one ARC on its way, I think I'll skip this discussion. I'm not usually so impatient but I guess I am right now. Thanks for sharing that though; I'm more likely to pick it up again at some point.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I won't be reading this till the end of the month rather than the beginning. It seems like a lot of people in the group have read it before.

Diane (dianes) This is my third time to read this book, and I'm bored with it. There are so many other books I would rather be reading. I don't think I'll make it through this book again.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is anyone reading this for the first time?

Jenny (jennycjensen) | 5 comments I'm reading this for the first time and am about 3/4 of the way through it. I've gotta say it's definitely not one of my favorites, I can't seem to get into it at all. I'm hoping maybe it'll hook me at the end, but after the last two books I've read (speak and looking for alaska) this book is really not the caliber that I'd hoped it would be.

Celestasaurus This is my first time reading it, and I'm not all impressed. I've got to agree with Jenny - it's not great compared to Speak or Looking for Alaska.
I think I'll read Tenderness or I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier. They sound more interesting.

message 10: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) I have to say, I haven't read this book in a long time but it affected me to the core of my being. So much so that I am afraid to pick it up again and read it. I am afraid of the emotional rollercoaster I experienced reading it. I LOVED this book.

I do often wonder if you have to have attended a small or private school or perhaps be a boy to really get into it?

message 11: by Tee27 (last edited Feb 15, 2009 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tee27 Wow, after reading all of the negative comments about The Chocolate War, I don't feel so bad. I can definitely relate to those who think the book is boring, well to some extent.

The first few chapters were so boring that I had to reread a few pages. I felt like a student reading a textbook near an open window on a sunny day. I had such a hard time focusing.

I did become engrossed in the book, however, after the part when Goober took the screws out of all the furniture. That was dramatic.

message 12: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn Interesting, reading what other people think of the book. I read the "Chocolate War" for the first time, read it in two days and thought it was brilliant! Maybe it's my age showing (I'm 29) or something but I thought it was a really, really good book. :)

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I started this book today and am already half way through the book. I don't think it is boring. I do find it a little depressing. These teens are finding out how life really is. Their parents life consists of work and disappointments. They realize teachers aren't all high and mighty. I think that it is hard when you realize what you are actually going to school for. To grow up, work forever.

So far I really like it and might just finish the book tonight!