Jacksonville Readers discussion

Book Club(s) > New Member Introduction

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren G (ahijah) | 5 comments Greetings all. I saw that a friend of mine (Chad P) was a member of this group so I thought I'd join in the fun.

I read mostly Sci Fi and Mystery/Thriller, but read occasionally across a broad range of genres. I'll join in for the September for sure.

Good reading!

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily (inquisitorlily) | 86 comments Mod
Darren wrote: "Greetings all. I saw that a friend of mine (Chad P) was a member of this group so I thought I'd join in the fun.

I read mostly Sci Fi and Mystery/Thriller, but read occasionally across a broad ..."

Hi, Darren!

~Lily~

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad P (mrchad) | 15 comments Welcome Darren.

message 4: by Rebecca N. (new)

Rebecca N. McKinnon (RNMcKinnon) | 25 comments Thanks for stopping by. Now that we're getting more members, I'm excited to see the discussion that's to start on some of our reads.

message 5: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Hey Darren. Bienvenido.

message 6: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Hall (sdhall725) | 3 comments Greetings and Happy 2013 everyone. I am a newbie to online book club and a long time resident of Jacksonville. I read across a broad spectrum of book genres - looking forward to participation and seeing what others have to input to the club. Happy New Year to all.

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Hello! I've been in Jacksonville for about 2 1/2 years and love it. Such a great area. Glad to find a group of other locals! Enjoying this month's book selection. Chuck

message 8: by Lily (new)

Chuck wrote: "Hello! I've been in Jacksonville for about 2 1/2 years and love it. Such a great area. Glad to find a group of other locals! Enjoying this month's book selection. Chuck"

Oh, good! :D

~Lily~

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (ImTheMommieof3) Hey y'all....I live in Jax and I love to read!! I read a variety of books - right now I am reading a book written by Jefferson Bass.

Courtney

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Rondeau (LindaWoodRondeau) | 3 comments Hi Courtney. I'm an author and live in JAX near the airport.

message 11: by John (new)

John Wilder | 3 comments Hey Courtney and Linda, I too live in Jacksonville and love it. I have lived in 9 states and Europe and love Jacksonville the best. This is my sixth time moving back to Jacksonville. I read mainly non fiction because that is what I write.

Blessings on you and yours
John Wilder

message 12: by John (new)

John Wilder | 3 comments Hey Chuck and Lilly I didn't see you on the conversation page until I hit send but glad to share this great city

message 13: by Ceruleanlobster (new)

Ceruleanlobster (LolaLariscy) | 1 comments Hi! I'm Lola. I'm a scifi writer, and I've lived in Jacksonville for 10 years.

My first novel, Trudie Lem: Spaceship Captain, Earth Detective, is available via Amazon, Barnes and Noble online and iBooks. I'm podcasting the novel (for free) at lola.podhoster.com .

I hope to participate in some good discussions on here!

message 14: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Lacoskie | 12 comments Good day to all! I'm Claudia and I've lived in Jacksonville for over 20 years. I love to read and look forward to sharing some good discussions.

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Hi, I'm new! 

Reading poetry on Instagram rekindled my general interest in reading. So glad to find other readers around JAX!

What I love about reading, is connecting, visualizing or actually feeling the author's intended emotions. While I LOVE ROLLER COASTERS,there's no theme park ride on planet that can match it.

Religion & politics aside, I'm not afraid to offer my point of view - sometimes learning, sometimes teaching.

Happy Reading!

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Oh, I've actually never been a book club member... before, so I'm learning as I go. lol

message 17: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 69 comments Jackie wrote: "Oh, I've actually never been a book club member... before, so I'm learning as I go. lol"

Welcome, Jackie!

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Welcome, Jackie!"

Thanks Joyce :)

message 19: by Angel (new)

Angel Jiménez (NoSoyLector) | 1 comments Hi. My mane is Angel and i read as a hobbie. Hope to discover new kind of books and meet some people here. I mostly read in spanish and english, so fell free to recommend any book in any of those languages.

message 20: by Joyce (last edited Aug 06, 2014 06:19AM) (new)

Joyce | 69 comments Hi Angel! What genre of book do you like to read? I always look through the Goodreads Choice Awards for ideas for books. I also check out what people on my friend's lists are reading. There are a lot of great books out there, it just depends upon what you like to read. The Outlander series is very good and will be premiered on STARZ as a TV series. There will be 18 episodes this year to cover the first book.

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Welcome Angel!

I'm new here also :)

@Joyce Did not know that...Thanks for the links too ;)

message 22: by Ashley Anne (new)

Ashley Anne (triplea0131) | 2 comments Hi Everyone! My name is Ashley. I've lived in Jacksonville my entire life(27 years). I was just introduced to Goodreads a few months ago from a coworker and I love it.
I was lucky to have landed upon this page this evening.

I read mostly YA books(doesn't matter what kind)but will pretty much give anything a try!

message 23: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 69 comments Welcome, Ashley!

message 24: by Ashley Anne (new)

Ashley Anne (triplea0131) | 2 comments Joyce wrote: "Welcome, Ashley!"

Thank you! :) I'm currently looking through your read shelf and finding things that I might have to add to my TBR shelf.

message 25: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Lacoskie | 12 comments hi Jackie, Angel and Ashley!!!

message 26: by John (new)

John Wilder | 3 comments Why don't we all get together and have dinner and conversation? We all live in the same city

message 27: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Lacoskie | 12 comments That sounds fun...I am game, just need a bit of notice. I work a lot.:)

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Sweet Tomatoes hasgood reviews on yelp. Plys they usually have coupons in the weekly circulars. http://m.yelp.com/biz/sweet-tomatoes-...

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Almost forgot to say hello to Ashley John & Claudia :)

message 30: by John (new)

John Wilder (marriagecoach1) | 1 comments Hey Claudia:
I too am game and it will take some planning and participation from the rest of the group.

Is it kosher to ask our group if there is any interest in trading reviews on our books

message 31: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T.  (Tracy_T) Hi all, I live in Jacksonville and love to read historical romance and paranormal fantasy romance! Nice to find a Jacksonville group!

message 32: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 69 comments Hi Tracy! Welcome!

message 33: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T.  (Tracy_T) Thank you Joyce!

message 34: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Lacoskie | 12 comments welcome!! I like paranormal romance and mysteries. but have really fallen behind in my reading. (need some quality "me" time...lol)

message 35: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T.  (Tracy_T) Hi Claudia. Thanks for the welcome. Yes get yourself some me time!

message 36: by Lily (new)

Hi, Tracy and Claudia! :D

message 37: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 69 comments Hi Lachesha, welcome!

message 38: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Larsen (TheresaLarsen) | 1 comments Hello. I live in Jacksonville and just published my first book, "Cutting the Soul: A journey into the mental illness of a teenager through the eyes of his mother." I love reading, writing, and playing tennis. Please check out Amazon for the book and my website for more information
http://www.theresalarsen.com/

Looking forward to following the messages

message 39: by Jolene (new)

Jolene Macfadden-kowalchuk (Jolenemacinjax3) | 1 comments Insider's Guide to Campground Hosting in Florida Parks Hi everyone! Our family has been born and raised in Jacksonville for 5 generations now. Currently, my mom and I are traveling around the state of Florida in a old class A RV volunteering and living in various state parks, thus, the inspiration for my book. Looking forward to talking to all of you. I love ready mysteries, science fantasy and the occasional romantic suspense. Please check out our website to see what we have been up to the last two years: http://southernladiesadventures.com

message 40: by Dorian (new)

Dorian Box | 1 comments Hi - I'm Dorian Box. I don't live in Jacksonville currently, but I used to and still have many friends there. I recently published a novel, Psycho-Tropics. It's set mostly in South Florida, but a few chapters take place on the Riverwalk in Jax, which I thought might make it of interest to members of the group. It's a mystery thriller with a lot of humor. "Carl Hiaasen on steroids," as one reviewer described it. Anyway, good to be a member and am wondering if any of my old friends are in this group! Dorian

message 41: by Mrs. Moore (new)

Mrs. Moore | 7 comments Hi! I am starting a women's book club focusing on international fiction authors. The books could be contemporary or classics, literary or pop fiction, mysteries or social commentary. The main idea is to read fiction written by authors, who are not from the United States, especially novels that are widely read in their home country, but relatively unknown in the USA. We are looking for a few more women before our first meeting. Participants should be committed to reading (or listening on audio to) twelve books a year as well as meeting in “real life” on every second Thursday evening of the month to discuss the novels. Having some ties overseas is not a prerequisite, but it would be helpful. If you, or someone you know, might be interested, please email me at swiftfan1@yahoo.com for details. Thanks!

message 42: by J. (new)

J. Reid (JBReid) | 3 comments Hi all, I am an author and live in Jax. I love to read like ya'll. Just published the first book. "Reversal: The Skyfire Begins". It's a science-based thriller.

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott Schank (sschank) | 1 comments Hi, my name is Scott. I am 57, married, and live in Mandarin.

I recently began listening to audiobooks a lot -- while walking, while cooking, and even while working (to drown out my chatty co-workers). I do enjoy reading books, but I rarely make the time that they require.

I am fairly discouraged with the limited selection of audiobooks at the Jacksonville Public Library. It frustrates me to find out on goodreads about books that I would love to read/listen to, only to find out that they are NOT available at the library. It won't be long before I have exhausted their selection of audio books (in subjects that interest me).

message 44: by T (new)

T Jacob (Momza) | 1 comments Hi J. I'll look forward to reading your book. I love to support local authors. Best of luck-T.L. Jacob
J. wrote: "Hi all, I am an author and live in Jax. I love to read like ya'll. Just published the first book. "Reversal: The Skyfire Begins". It's a science-based thriller."

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (vishousgirl) | 1 comments Hi. I'm Amanda. I'm a 33 year old wife and mother. I've lived in Jacksonville for about 4 years now. I used to be a book addict, reading every spare minute of the day. Nowadays, I don't have as much time, but I still love reading and have a 'to read' list a mile long.

message 46: by Mrs. Moore (new)

Mrs. Moore | 7 comments Welcome! To demolish my 'to read' list, I've discovered audio books on an MP3 player to get my book fix while I do errands, cleaning, raking, and other boring household tasks. Two things make this easy for me. First, the Jax Public library has an awesome audio book collection that you can download at home 24 hours a day through the OverDrive software they provide for free. Secondly, I have a Sansa Clip because it has a bookmark feature that will take you back to the last word you 'read' ; lots of audio-players treat audio-books like songs and dump you back at the beginning of the chapter or section, which is too frustrating!
Let me know if you give it a try.
Amanda wrote: "Hi. I'm Amanda. I'm a 33 year old wife and mother. I've lived in Jacksonville for about 4 years now. I used to be a book addict, reading every spare minute of the day. Nowadays, I don't have as muc..."

message 47: by Rand (new)

Rand (iterate) | 5 comments hi, I have lived in jax off and on since 1991 (minus 7 or 8 non-consecutive years) and i enjoy reading too many books at once and riding bikes. i'm a recovering lit snob.

i do enjoy reading books written by authors from the place where I happen to be physically (or books set in the place where I am) and thus support local authors though I have not read too terribly much by way of local lit.

cheers

message 48: by Mrs. Moore (new)

Mrs. Moore | 7 comments FYI The Bookmark is a great independent bookstore at the Beaches town center that has a whole local section. If you get on their email list, you can go to readings and meet the authors.
Rand wrote: "hi, I have lived in jax off and on since 1991 (minus 7 or 8 non-consecutive years) and i enjoy reading too many books at once and riding bikes. i'm a recovering lit snob.

i do enjoy reading books ..."

message 49: by Rand (new)

Rand (iterate) | 5 comments Good to know, thanks. I have not yet been to that one. I know one of the organizers of the Jax by Jax Writer's Festival that takes place in Riverside. I went last year, it was neat.

I don't have a lot free time to read and am not sure if I will be buying any new books anytime soon as I recently bought Remembrance of Things Past (among many other books). I will check out The Bookmark once I am ready to buy more books. Chamblin's Bookmine on Roosevelt has a nice section devoted to local authors as well, I have been to a few readings at their downtown location.

Cheers

message 50: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (movingaroundguy) | 2 comments Hi everyone! I just joined the group. I moved to Jacksonville in August and thought that this would be a good way of meeting people to talk about literature.

« previous 1