The Year of Reading Proust discussion

Marcel Proust
This topic is about Marcel Proust
Information & General Threads > Reading Schedule **Final**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jason (last edited Aug 26, 2012 05:39PM) (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Ok, here are the Kindle locations for the complete boxed set version
(based on Proustitute's Modern Library schedule above):

06 Jan – read to 1180
13 Jan – to 2160
20 Jan – to 3260
27 Jan – to 4220

03 Feb – to 5310
10 Feb – to 6310
17 Feb – to 7250
24 Feb – to 8320 (finish Swann's Way)

03 Mar – to 9400
10 Mar – to 10490
17 Mar – to 11530
24 Mar – to 12570
31 Mar – to 13660

07 Apr – to 14760
14 Apr – to 15770
21 Apr – to 16780
28 Apr – to 17890 (finish Within a Budding Grove)

05 May – to 19140
12 May – to 20310
19 May – to 21490
26 May – to 22700

02 Jun – to 23840
09 Jun – to 24980
16 Jun – to 26130
23 Jun – to 27470
30 Jun – to 28820 (finish The Guermantes Way)

07 Jul – to 29880
14 Jul – to 30940
21 Jul – to 31990
28 Jul – to 33020

04 Aug – to 34100
11 Aug – to 35180
18 Aug – to 36220
25 Aug – to 37160

01 Sep – to 38550 (finish Sodom and Gomorrah)
08 Sep – to 39780
15 Sep – to 41030
22 Sep – to 42180
29 Sep – to 43360

06 Oct – to 444610
13 Oct – to 45870 (finish The Captive)
20 Oct – to 46860
27 Oct – to 47760

03 Nov – to 48700
10 Nov – to 49710
17 Nov – to 50990 (finish The Fugitive)
24 Nov – to 52250

01 Dec – to 53370
08 Dec – to 54510
15 Dec – to 55630
22 Dec – to 56770
29 Dec - to 57910 (finish Time Regained)

This is only applicable to the "boxed set" Kindle version found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Library-...

I have no idea how Nooks work, and if people buy the individual Modern Library versions for Kindle, the locations would start from 0 at the start of each book (rather than continuing all the way up, for the boxed set). But I can only guess what those Kindle locations would be, because it's probably not as straightforward as subtracting out the previous location (each individual book might have introductions and pre-text notes that would impact the locations).

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali | 15 comments Proustitute wrote: "JANUARY
Sunday, 6 Jan: Swann's Way, to page 64 in ML edition / page 48 in the LD translation (through Combray, Part I)
Sunday, 13 Jan: Swann's Way, to page 139 in ML / page 102 in LD (page break, ..."

Very nice. Copying this to a file now. I can't guarantee I won't get overexcited and let Proust take my literary life over a little by finishing one of the volumes ahead of schedule, but since I've got three or four books going most of the time these days, this will be an excellent guide when I can only read him in smaller doses.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1 comments You're amazing, P! Thanks for organizing this.

message 4: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments most excellent, Proustitute. i hope you helped yourself to your favorite treat after compiling that. and you too, Jason. i *think* nooks track the same as, or very close to, the actual book. my first e-reader was a nook but then i got a kindle and i like it better and i never got very adept with the nook.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Proustitute wrote: "Many thanks for the Kindle box set pagination, Jason!"

No problem, Mr. P!

message 6: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments i got the book-book versions.

but if my library makes e-versions available for lending, i might try them, just to see, especially if they have a nook-friendly format. i'll check on that.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) It does seem weird reading Proust on an electronic reader, doesn't it? But I read Woolf on the e-reader and I think I enjoyed it just as much as I would have in dead-tree version. Words are words, I suppose.

message 8: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments Words are words! But I also enjoy just looking at these books. :)
If I find I want to read them while commuting, I hope I can borrow e-versions from the library.

I really wish publishers would start bundling, especially classics.

message 9: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Thank you! Looking forward to this. Geesh, besides at IJ, I have to remember to pop in here before the threads get out of hand.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Proustitute wrote: "However one reads him is irrelevant. It's the reading that matters."

I think you and this group are going to help a lot of people appreciate, with Proust, what they may not have been able to do as easily on their own. I am looking more and more forward to this group read every day.

message 11: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Yes, thank you, Proustitute. This is great. Reading with a group, especially an enthusiastic one, is so much better.

message 12: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments Proustitute wrote: "Oh, I would never judge. I use my e-reader all the time
I just think Proust and I have such a bond that I need the physical book in my hand when reading him.

However one reads him is irrelevant...."

i do too. i have a tendency to call myself a promiscuous reader because i read all formats. lol.

message 13: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (MJNicholls) Marvellous, Proustitute! Living up to your name at last!

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha That is an unforgettable name. LOL.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Schedule looks great!

I copied the dates into a calendar - if anyone wants they can use it too. Link for Google Calendar, and for iCal.

message 16: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Great! Thank you, Joshua. I have iCal.

message 17: by Maciek (last edited Aug 27, 2012 02:03PM) (new)

Maciek Hello everyone! My friend Aloha is encouraging me to read Proust. I am not sure since I think have a proustate problem. Must have been all those proustitutes. I guess I'll go and look for my lost time to get some in preparation for reading the book!

message 18: by Aloha (new)

Aloha At least those proustitutes give you a nice remembrance of things past.

message 19: by Maciek (new)

Maciek Hey, at least I didn't became a fugitive who got caught and became a prisoner in the cities of the plain.

message 20: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I'm a captive to your Guermantes way.

message 21: by Maciek (new)

Maciek I'm good at proustelytizing.

message 22: by Maciek (new)

Maciek Sure! Thanks for the welcome. Will be monitoring the discussion and reading!

Danielle (Love at First Page) Thanks! It's nice to see it all laid out. I'm excited!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) This schedule looks very manageable. It makes tackling Proust for the first time a lot less daunting.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) I just realized that, considering most "moderately popular" books on Goodreads have 5,000 ratings or more, and books that are popular among the general public can easily have over 50,000 ratings on Goodreads, Marcel Proust is seriously, seriously under-appreciated on this site. As an example, Orlando has 13,507 ratings as of this posting and that is not even Woolf's most popular title. Time Regained, on the other hand, has 911 ratings. 911! Thanks to Proustitute, by the end of 2013, we will have significantly affected the Proust stats on this website.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder how much Goodreads is frequented by non-Anglophone readers? Who are, in any case, notoriously insular in their reading habits; much more so than on the Continent, for example, where a far higher proportion of reading is in translation, and people are in any case more likely to have multiple languages...

message 27: by Jason (last edited Feb 26, 2013 11:20AM) (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) It is true there are lots of different volume types listed, but that Time Regained link in message 31 is supposed to include all translations of that particular volume, including the French. Here is a list of his complete works: http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/...

Besides Swann‘s Way, no other volume has more than 2,500 ratings. And even if one were to theoretically combine a bunch of the straggler editions toward the bottom, it wouldn't amount to very much. It's just, overall, a very low on the totem pole author on Goodreads and I think we'll have a chance to change that.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure about totem poles. Maybe I'm an old-fashioned elitist but I don't take social media ratings as any indication of significance - especially not quantitatively. They're more like a bestseller chart. Fifty Shades of Grey has 212,281 ratings...

Raising the profile of the Recherche would be good for Goodreads, rather than good for Proust :)

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim Joshua wrote: "Not sure about totem poles. Maybe I'm an old-fashioned elitist but I don't take social media ratings as any indication of significance - especially not quantitatively. They're more like a bestselle..."

Ratings are the least interesting part of GR for me. Some people, for whatever reason, are obsessed about the star rating system - 5 versus 10 - and become apoplectic if someone gives their favorite best-seller only one star. I'd rather read the text of individuals' reviews, in GR and elsewhere, than concern myself with empty numerical data...

The schedule looks manageable. En Janvier, mes amis!

message 30: by Janine (new)

Janine | 2 comments Jason wrote: "It is true there are lots of different volume types listed, but that Time Regained link in message 31 is supposed to include all translations of that particular volume, including the French. Here i..."

As a person who lives in a community where totem poles are carved, I'm happy to report that the popular "low on the totem pole" analogy is inaccurate (at least among the Tlingit people). The lower on the totem pole the figure, the more important it is in holding up everything on top of it. A carver I know tells me the figure at the top of the totem pole is the one the birds poop on. Proust being low on the totem pole is a good thing. :)

I'm thrilled about this schedule and the group... thanks, everyone, for all the contributions. Kudos especially to Proustitute!

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) janine wrote: "As a person who lives in a community where totem poles are carved, I'm happy to report that the popular "low on the totem pole" analogy is inaccurate (at least among the Tlingit people). The lower on th..."

I stand corrected!

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 02, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

janine wrote: "The lower on the totem pole the figure, the more important it is in holding up everything on top of it."

Wow, I didn't know that. Fascinating!

message 33: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments and me, too...

i know you said bird, but i still got an image/the voice of Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog in my head.

message 34: by Janine (new)

Janine | 2 comments I was only made aware of this fact as of about a month ago. :) I just think it's intriguing.

But yes, the main point is that because of this group, more people on Goodreads will read Proust. That's awesome.

message 35: by Rick Delaney (new)

Rick Delaney  (RickRain) | 10 comments I have a nook tablet, and all of Proust on it (but i may read it on my dog-eared paperbacks).
Seems that Combray ends at p. 204 on the nook. Do ereader paginations change when one changes font size?
Rick

message 36: by Landon (new)

Landon (LandonGodfrey) | 3 comments Joshua wrote: "Schedule looks great!

I copied the dates into a calendar - if anyone wants they can use it too. Link for Google Calendar, and for iCal."

Merci beaucoup, Joshua. So great to have iCal dates.

message 37: by Rick Delaney (new)

Rick Delaney  (RickRain) | 10 comments Proustitute,
sure, I'd be happy to nook-ify the paginations. I do have the Modern Library version.
Rick

message 38: by Rick Delaney (new)

Rick Delaney  (RickRain) | 10 comments @Proustitute,
can i give you here the nook pages and let you incorporate them as you wish in the schedule?
I've only done Swann's Way for now:
Jan 6 p. 69
Jan 13 to p. 119
Jan 20 to p. 176
Jan 27 to p. 227
Feb 3 to p. 281
Feb 10 to p. 333
Feb 17 to p. 382
Feb 24 to p. 434 (end of volume)

message 39: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments Proustitute wrote: "Initially, we discussed among several group members in one of the threads—I think this one?—about organizing the Proust discussions by volume. This would mean one folder for each volume of the Rech..."

This seems odd to me, Prostitute-- I think we should be able to do it. Want me to go in and see if I can do it?

message 40: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments Proustitute wrote: "Initially, we discussed among several group members in one of the threads—I think this one?—about organizing the Proust discussions by volume. This would mean one folder for each volume of the Rech..."

Clarification -- I know that we can set up a folder for each volume on the same level as the folders we current have for auxiliary readings, etc. Is that OK with you, or were you hoping to have one huge Recherche folder with sub folders within for each volume, and then threads within those? If you wanted the latter, I'm not sure we can do that.

message 41: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments Proustitute wrote: "Kris, please do? I haven't been on the IJ group in a while. Did you do this there?

Even feel free to make a dummy folder/threads to see if it's possible."

OK -- will try -- we can also make the folders sticky so they appear at the top of the main page, in order. I'll try it now, and if you don't like it we can delete....

message 42: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments The thing with setting up threads within folders is this:
they don't show up unless there is content.

so if you set it up, insert a sentence to say "hey here's the thread" or whatever you want, and then it will show up on the page...is that the problem you're referring to?

message 43: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments Marieke wrote: "The thing with setting up threads within folders is this:

so if you set it up, insert a sentence to say "hey here's the thread" or whatever you want, an..."

Right -- I usually post something exciting like, "This is the tread to discuss Swann's Way, pgs....- ....

message 44: by Jason (last edited Sep 30, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Marieke wrote: "The thing with setting up threads within folders is this:

There is a way around this and I can fix it so that content is always shown.
(Because folders also disappear if there is no activity for a specified amount of time.)

message 45: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments Kris wrote: "Marieke wrote: "The thing with setting up threads within folders is this:

so if you set it up, insert a sentence to say "hey here's the thread" or whate..."

yes, and the mods can close it for comments until its time for discussion to start so that the thread doesn't get cluttered with chitchat.

message 46: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Kris, if Proustitute doesn't like the idea of too many folders, we could also move the 3 reading schedule threads into "general" and just make them sticky so they are always displayed first. Perhaps that would make the appearance less cluttered?

message 47: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments Jason wrote: "Kris, if Proustitute doesn't like the idea of too many folders, we could also move the 3 reading schedule threads into "general" and just make them sticky so they are always displayed first. Perhap..."

That's a good idea, Jason. I'll put up the folders, and then we can move the reading schedule threads.

You are the king of discussion thread management!

message 48: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Thanks for setting up the threads, Kris. I've configured the group settings to display enough folders to accommodate all the volumes plus the preliminary reads, etc., but limited the threads shown to just 7 per folder. I've found that to generate a clean look (and it is always the 7 most recent threads that are shown). So when you're done setting it up we can marvel at how nice it looks. :)

message 49: by Kris (last edited Sep 30, 2012 03:33PM) (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments OK, take a look at the first thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1.... Let me know if you want any format or wording changes, and I can put up the others.

message 50: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 181 comments You are the king of discussion thread management!

i will start taking notes from Jason. :)

(organization is not necessarily my forte)

« previous 1 3