Goodreads asked Sam Ferguson:

Sam Ferguson Read, write, and dream. (Not always in that order...)

Reading should be a given. It will enhance your techniques as you study not only the plot elements of a good story, but also the mechanical skills different writers employ. As you read with a writer's eye, you will have little "ah-ha!" moments where you see a skill you have been lacking, but can develop to improve your writing.

Writing is the most important part. You have to actually sit down and write. Some people have a goal of writing 1,000 words a day. I find as with other things, these goals can and should be increased in accordance with your skill. For example, when you first walk into a gym, you might only lift the bar without extra weight. But you certainly don't want to stay at that level forever. You increase your goals. 1,000 words a day was a great goal while I had another fulltime job. It was something I could almost always hit on my lunch hour. Now, however, I can drop around 2,200 words an hour, consistently over the course of a day. Always stretch yourself.

Dreaming is very important for a fiction writer. Without dreams and questions of what if- then what will we ever be able to produce? Take time to daydream, to make up your own endings to books, movies, video games, etc. Don't lose the 12 year old version of you that used to stare out the window and fight in epic battles while the teacher was blathering on about some subject you weren't passionate about. You should still look out the window and dream -- it's just a balancing act of finding the appropriate time to do it as you age ;)