A Goodreads user asked Susan Mallery:

When you meet people socially and they ask you what you do for a living, do you volunteer that you write romance novels or do you hedge? How to people react to your being a romance writer?

Susan Mallery Hi, Amy. I'm very proud of what I do, though there is something to be said for privacy, as well. In certain situations, I might just say that I'm a writer or that I'm self-employed, simply because I don't want to put the focus on myself. When I do say I'm a romance writer, I can always tell by the reaction whether the person reads romance. People who haven't read romance often have a very different perception than the reality, which is that these are good stories about a certain time in a couple's life.
Susan Mallery