Muldvarper
Muldvarper asked Jeff VanderMeer:

Are your books representative for your everyday perception of things, or do you have a completely seperate state of mind for work? (Do you go in to trance?)

Jeff VanderMeer Hi! Thanks for the question. It's a bit of both. I have to be in a place where I'm kind of experiencing the fiction as I write it, as if I'm living it, so it's not a trance state but I suppose it's a little similar. At the same time, when I'm not writing I have to be receptive to the world around me, because even the tiniest detail could wind up sparking inspiration for the novel. When I'm working on fiction, then, and entirely immersed in it, there's no experience like it. There's a sense of unity about things.