Susan Ee
Susan Ee asked Holly Black:

Hi Holly! Do you scare yourself when you write creepy scenes? I sometimes do when I’m writing, and I definitely get creeped out reading some of your awesome scenes! :)

Holly Black The funny thing is that I am really quite a wuss in real life, but not so much in fiction. I don't watch very many horror movies, I'm totally terrified by zombies, and when I was a kid, I had an incredibly detailed night-time ritual to ensure I wouldn't get grabbed by the trees outside, possessed by ghosts or feasted upon by ghouls.

Several times, I've sent some bit of writing to a friend and had them be freaked out by it. When I go back and look, I do think, "oh yeah, that is pretty messed up," but when I'm writing it, I am usually so interested in finding the right word that I don't quite notice how horrifying the scene is that I'm describing.

Maybe being scared of many, many things many, many times means those fears are ready and waiting to be drawn upon? I don't know, but I don't think I've ever been creeped out by anything I've written.

(BTW, I am going to take this opportunity to tell you again how much I've been enjoying the Angelfall books and how much I am looking forward to the third one.)

(Also, is it weird that I am pleased to have creeped you out?)