Heather Stewart
Heather Stewart asked Elizabeth Gilbert:

I always come up with what I think are great story or blog ideas. I've even outlined a memoir-type book, but I can't seem to have the patience to actually sit and write. Do you have a system or a time frame when you "make" yourself write or does it flow all the time?

Elizabeth Gilbert NOTHING flows all the time, Heather! If I waited to write until I was "in the zone", or even in the mood, I would never have written anything. I'm afraid that discipline and habit are the answers. Just as with everything else good in the world, you must learn to dedicate yourself to it with love and loyalty, even on the days when it doesn't seem fun. I say this all the time, and I will say it again: The only tool a writer needs is a simple kitchen timer. Get one. Set it for 30 minutes, every day. Sit down. Write. Repeat. Trust me, it works.
Elizabeth Gilbert