Cynthia
Cynthia asked Elizabeth Gilbert:

My book group 'A Good Yarn' at the Mary Jacobs Library in Rocky Hill NJ will be reading 'Signature of All Things' for our 9/2 meeting. I'm the moderator and coordinator of the group. Is there a particular thing in the book that you think I should focus on when creating questions and presenting supporting materials? Also, keep an eye out on our Pinterest page as I create a board for every book the group reads.

Elizabeth Gilbert Thanks, Cynthia! I love that you're reading it! I would focus on the question of a woman's journey. It was really important for me when writing this novel that it not become a story about a woman who was either rescued or ruined by a man. You will find that it is difficult to find a women's story in literary history that does not involve male rescue or male ruin. I wanted Alma's destiny to be her own, regardless of how her romantic life played out. I would be curious to see what your book group thinks of that idea. (Also, if you go to my website www.elizabethgilbert.com you will find a reader's guide there, for book groups!)
Elizabeth Gilbert