Eliza
Eliza asked Deborah Harkness:

Hi Deborah! I believe in the power of creativity and I'm particularly interested in the intersection of travel and creativity. One of my favorite parts of The All Souls Trilogy is the lush locales. When you travel to scout out a location, do you approach the city or building in a particular manner? Do you have any particular travel habits that feed your inspiration? All the best, Melinda Eliza

Deborah Harkness what a great question! Sometimes I go to a place and immediately know "Gallowglass was once here" or "Ysabeau likes this square." Other times, I go intent on researching a locale, as I did when I spent time in the village of St.-Arcons-D'Allier in the Auvergne. I tend to sit quietly and listen and look rather than racing around trying to "see" things. I find that is the best way for me to become familiar with a place so that I can write about it.