Laura H
Laura H asked Holly Black:

What do you do to encourage inspiration when you get writer's block?

Holly Black My friend Cassie always says that writer's block is a *symptom* of a problem and not a problem in and of itself and I think she's probably right. Sometimes, when you're stuck it's because you're not inspired, but other times it's because there's distracting stuff going on in your life, because you don't know enough about your story/characters/world, or because you've made a wrong turn and don't want to double back.

Your job is to figure out where your writer's block is coming from. If the answer is that you're not feeling inspired, it helps me to look at stuff you love that relates to the work you're doing -- especially to the stuff that first inspired you. If you're retelling a fairy tale, go back and re-read the fairy tales you loved that made you interested in retelling one in the first place, look at paintings of fairy tales, read other retellings that inspired you, etc.