A Goodreads user asked Laurie Halse Anderson:

How do you stick with writing a book until it's finished? Should I plan ahead or make it up as I go? Where do you get your inspiration?

Laurie Halse Anderson I'm not sure. I've walked away from a bunch of books I started. I think sometimes the idea sounds good, but when you get deep into the writing, you realize it's not robust enough for an entire novel. No worries.

I don't like abandoning projects, though, so I've learned to write masses of notes (sometimes several hundred pages of them) before I start to worry about things like a narrative that makes sense, dialog, etc.

Most important thing is to choose a character or topic that you absolutely ADORE. That makes it much easier to stick with it when the going gets tough.