James Rollins
James Rollins asked Rebecca Cantrell:

Rebecca, you've created a very engaging character in your new series, a gentleman named Joe Tesla. He suffers from a condition that a handful of thriller writers have tackled in the past, namely agoraphobia (the fear of open spaces). But how Mr. Tesla deals with his condition is so very unique and intriguing. Could you tell us about how he compensates for his fears, and how you came to such a wonderful concept?

Rebecca Cantrell Joe wants to have a big life and once he realizes that he has agoraphobia and realizes that he can't go outside, he comes up with a clever solution: make the inside bigger by moving into the tunnels under New York City.

I came up with the idea after I moved to Berlin, Germany and started taking the subway often. I was struck by how many people travel through the tunnels without ever seeing the spaces in between. There's an almost invisible world down there that millions of us pass through, but about which we know very little. It made me wonder about someone who chooses to live in those tunnels, not someone who is forced into them by economic necessity, but someone who could live anywhere he wants (he's a multi-millionaire after all!) but is forced to live in this invisible space.