Kylara Jensen
Kylara Jensen asked:

Is there an Indian myth or fairy tale this is based on? It reminds me of Persephone/Hades (or East of the Sun West of the Moon), but that seems almost ethnocentric when it's set in such a rich Indian Mythology.

To answer questions about The Star-Touched Queen, please sign up.
Roshani Chokshi Regarding the Hindu myths, there were many that had a direct influence on The Star-Touched Queen! I'm not sure if they're familiar to many readers, but if not, I hope this list inspires you to seek them out and learn more about them :)

1. Savitri and Satyavan: This is a beautiful tale about a woman who outwits Death to save her husband's life. I've always been intrigued by female characters whose strength comes from their mind and not just their muscle.

2. Shiva and Parvati: In the Hindu pantheon, Shiva is one of the main deities. He's known as the Destroyer. His consort is Parvati, but she is a reincarnation of Sati. Reincarnation is a common motif in Hindu mythology, but what I loved about their story is how they found one another despite the obstacles.

3. The Ramayana: The Ramayana is one of the great Sanskrit epics (along with the Mahabharata). There's an interesting scene where Sita (the wife of Rama, the main character, and also the reincarnation of Goddess Lakshmi) has to submit to a test of purity known as the "agni pariksha." The scene is emotionally wrenching because it showed how rulers (even if they are divine!) fall prey to the rumors and suspicions of others.

4. Shakuntula: This is one of the great Kalidasa plays. What I loved about this tale is how memory can become a tangible thing, like a token that can be given.

5. Narasimha: One of my favorites! This is a tale about a demon king who performs severe penances to avoid death by making a list of conditions under which he cannot be killed. I loved this myth because it demonstrated how things could be interpreted. It made fate seem a little more pliable.

Thank you for asking this question! :)
Sabrina Hey!!! Your story was great and your writing so beautiful!!!! So poetica!!! I was just wondering did you imagine somebody in particular as Amar (maybe an actor or not?) I'm now obsessed with Amar !!! Kisses from France
Image for The Star-Touched Queen
by Roshani Chokshi (Goodreads Author)