Jake Chambers
Jake Chambers asked Jeff VanderMeer:

What did you think about "The Man Who Had No Eyes" in City of Saints and Madmen in the the mass market paperback edition NOT being encyphered (because the change of format had shifted things and would have required recoding the piece)? Do you think the book lost something with that decision, or do you think most readers wouldn't have bothered to solve the code in the first place?

Jeff VanderMeer Well, it's not the purest version of the book as a result. At last count, about 175 people had asked for the key over the years, and then another 100 downloaded it from the Ambergris.org website. So I can't tell how many took the time to decipher it, but most told me it was an interesting and unique experience. I'm truly grateful there are readers out there like that.