Sean
Sean asked Jeff VanderMeer:

Even though they are very different books, I felt like your books have a lot in common with "House of Leaves" (the whole Lovecraftian uncertainty, the focus on protagonists who aren't fully aware of the world they're interacting with) and I just wondered if "Leaves" happened to be a book that influenced your thinking or if it's just serendipitous reading on my part.

Jeff VanderMeer I love House of Leaves, but House of Leaves uses techniques and approaches and ideas that come from a host of other weird fiction written long before it. My influences and my point of view were set long before House of Leaves came out--I'd been a published writer for over a decade before that. So, I love the book but except for the stairs into nowhere in that one footnote, I don't think there's any real influence.