Goodreads asked Darren T. Patrick:

Darren T. Patrick My most recent book is the second book in The Rithhek Cage Trilogy: The Peregrine Prophecy. I’m about two-thirds of the way through the first draft of the final book of the trilogy.

Where did the idea come from? Well... the first rumblings I felt about writing my own stuff came shortly after reading The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I was about twelve at the time and remember it well - my mother had recently come home from the local mall and dropped a paperback on my bed with some really cool artwork on the cover. I didn’t know what fantasy fiction was, but believe me, I sure as heck wanted to know what Elfstones were! It was my first literary introduction (outside of playing Dungeons & Dragons with friends… all fantasy writers did at some point, right?) to mystical creatures, magical weapons, strange worlds and even stranger races.

I devoured it.

And when I was done, I remember thinking how cool it would be if I could one day write something that took people to another place like the way I had been. So that’s what I did - I wrote. Mind you, like many authors I know, life “got in the way” and unfortunately my writing stepped aside to let that happen.

Fast-forward twenty-four years since Elfstones found its way to my room, and that’s when I decided—seriously—to reacquaint myself with the craft. Three years later, The Cloudstone Key was born (the child of a great deal of planning and forethought). For those that pick up any of my books, it is my sincere hope that they will be transported away to that mystical place - that place which enables the suspension of disbelief and drops them into a far away land and all that comes with it!