Tina Louise
Tina Louise asked Robyn Carr:

Really got caught up in the Virgin River series-hard to put down! My question is more about your self confidence and how did you know your work was good enough to publish? I wrote my first book when I was 12 and have been writing since, but I lack the self confidence to go further. Any suggestions?

Robyn Carr I didn't have any self-confidence! And even less after about 20 rejection slips! But I did belong to a writer's group and was getting very positive feedback. And I was ready like mad, trying to objectively rate my own meager talent against published books. Also, I knew that rejection was part of the process. In retrospect, I've done many things in my life even though I was afraid. Childbirth comes immediately to mind!
Look, if it's what you really want and you let nerves or lack of confidence keep you from trying, you will regret it. If you try and fail, you will at least have tried. And who knows -- maybe you'll get a rave review!
Robyn Carr