Goodreads asked M.A. Corliss:

M.A. Corliss I came up with The Suicide Kids when I was in a very dark place in my life, I was actually at the point of ending it all. I remember laying in my bed watching a movie and thinking that after graduating this was it, I was completely lost and unsure what to do with my life. I had finally finished my first poetry book and everyone I asked to read it gave up part of the way through. I had spent 4 years of my life putting that together and no one wanted to read it, it was very defeating. I had a degree, but, it was useless to me, not only that, but, I felt extremely lonely and disconnected from the world. I wanted to connect with people on a level greater than that of some social media life. As I lay in my bed, feeling sorry for myself I realized that I had never written a suicide letter and felt that if I was to take that course of action, I should leave something behind for my family.

After writing my first paragraph, I looked it over several times. This would later be the opener for The Suicide Kids. And soon an idea began to unfold, a whole story created about someone just like me trying to find himself in the world and gain a real connection with people. The more I wrote the better I got, it became my own personal therapy until I finally finished it and was able to get out of my depression.

Some of the best advice I have ever recieved on writing is "write what you know" and though I am better now, that was what I knew.