Goodreads asked Karen GoatKeeper:

Karen GoatKeeper Not all writing is done from inspiration. Magazine articles are done on given topics. It helps if you are interested and knowledgeable on the topic.
Stories and books may start with an inspiration. I find I will be thinking along a subject bouncing from idea to idea. One or two will catch my attention.
Turning those over in my mind lets me enlarge them, find related ideas until a story or article seems possible.
At other times those bits of inspiration are outgrowths from pure work. A plot needs an incident. What incidents are there? What circumstances lend themselves to something happening? What could happen? Which would fit into the plot? Which would the characters do? Then develop it.
It is very important to be able to generate those bits of inspiration yourself. Waiting for one to just occur may leave you with nothing to write.