s. decosse
s. decosse asked Ruta Sepetys:

What gave you the confidence to undertake the years of research on 'Between Shades of Grey". Did you write a dynamite proposal and have a publisher's commitment ..or did you have tremendous self confidence..(and I look at that as a plus.) Did you have any life experiences in the past that helped you soldier on?

Ruta Sepetys Hello Seabreeze!

I wanted to be an author when I was very young. I wrote my first book in third grade. But after a while, I lost my courage to write and feared I didn't really have a talent for it.

Prior to becoming an author I worked for twenty years in the music business. Through working in music I learned that failure is a prerequisite to success. Having the freedom to fail brought me back to writing.

I did not sell the book on a proposal. I wrote (and rewrote) "Between Shades of Gray" countless times before it was sold to a publisher. It was a journey that took many years, but I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for asking!
Ruta Sepetys