Lindy
Lindy asked Ruta Sepetys:

Hi Ruta! My 8th grade class just finished reading Between Shades of Gray and loved it! I'm curious to know how the release of the other "Shades of Gray" book affected your book sales since they came out around the same time. I hate that I get that look when I mention your book because they get it confused with the other! Also, do you have any advice for breaking into the industry as a book editor?

Ruta Sepetys Hi Lindy!

"Between Shades of Gray" was out for a year before "50 Shades" was released. Thank goodness! That gave a bit of separation between the two. But yes, there has been some confusion about the two books which may have resulted in readers purchasing the wrong book. :(

In terms of breaking into the industry as a book editor, most of the editors I know worked as interns or assistants in the editorial departments of the publishing houses. That seems to the be the traditional path - work as an assistant under an editor, learn from them, and make your way up!

Thanks again!
Ruta Sepetys