Anthony Stancomb
Anthony Stancomb asked Bev Spicer:

Saw your post on the memoir group. I'm looking for material about the tradition of humour in English language travel books. I'm hoping to write something about it sometime. I found 'Stranded' very entertaining, and just put a review on the sites. Where are you in France, and will you be writing any non-fiction book about it? Regards, Anthony

Bev Spicer Hi Anthony,

Sorry, I didn't see your first post.

Thank you for reading Stranded. I can't find your review, just your two-star rating. Must say, your message made be hope for more!

Anyway, the answer to your question about France is that I'm living in Charente Maritime in a dusty old renovation, with the constant fear of termites! But the sun is hot and the restaurant next door formidable. My children speak fluent French and my husband loves DIY. I get to write every day. Perfect.

I've written a humorous memoir about a study trip to France when I was at university ('One Summer in France'). Another more literary title also set in France is 'A Life Lived Twice' - this doesn't contain much humour as it is a mystery/thriller set in Charente Maritime.

Your project sounds interesting. There is certainly a huge amount of non-fiction around about bombing off to France to start a new life.

Thanks for your question, it's nice to have a real one!

Best wishes,
Bev