Goodreads asked Sonia Orin Lyris:

Sonia Orin Lyris Thank you for asking.

"The Seer" is about a girl named Amarta, who can see into the future, and what happens when she comes to the attention of the powers of the empire.

It's a story very much about power. I wanted to explored what happened when different kinds of power met each other.

But it's also about love, and loyalty, and questions of fate.

There's an ancient Greek story, about Cassandra, a prophet who could see into the future, but is cursed to not be believed. "The Seer" is sort of a cross between the Cassandra story and Game of Thrones, but of course it's much more. It's an exploration of different kinds of power, from prophecy to governmental force, from money to magic. The world is large and built from a history that goes back tens of thousands of years, that winds through civilizations that rise and fall, against a backdrop of powerful magics and the mages who wield it.

As for me, I wondered what would happen if Amarta was asked the right questions but by the wrong people. And I wanted to know who she was.

And now I'm working on the sequel.