Goodreads asked Karen Booth:

Karen Booth This is tough for me, because when I get stuck, I tend to really get stuck. Tires to the rim in mud stuck. So, I have a few tricks I try to use. First off, I think about certain key elements of the story and ask myself what it would be like if they were turned around. She never got along with her dead father and always felt like she never measured up. What if she adored her dead father and can't bear the thought of doing something he wouldn't approve of if he were here? Things like that…

The other thing I do is think about my story before I go to sleep. I only do it with the lights off--there's something about that moment when I turn the light off that gets my brain going. Luckily, it only does it for about five minutes. I think through a plot point, turn the light back on, jot it down in the notebook I keep on the bedside table (always there--it must always be there!), and then I go to sleep. This probably wouldn't work for a lot of writers, but I'm a really good sleeper and once it's written down, I feel okay to relax.