Elaine Aaron
Elaine Aaron asked Kate DiCamillo:

Do you have advice for hooking young students, especially those who struggle academically on reading? As a teacher-librarian I'm aware of the necessity of exposing them to quality literature and sharing my passion for reading (and have plenty of your wonderful books to share)! As National Ambassador of Young People's Literature, do you have other recommendations?

Kate DiCamillo Hi Elaine, I think that telling a story really matters. And that heart really matters. Story and heart. That is what I think it comes down to. Recommendations: Harriet the Spy, Charlotte's Web, The Year of Billy Miller, The Watsons Go to Birmingham, The Secret Garden, anything by Beverly Cleary, Bridge to Terebithia.
Kate DiCamillo