Goodreads asked Gregory S. Close:

Gregory S. Close The characters and plot of GREYSPACE all derived from a science fiction/fantasy writing course that I took back in 2010 or 2011. We were asked to come up with three story ideas and then pick one to write about. Truth be told, I already knew what I wanted to write about, as I had a semi-humorous FTL story from high school that I wanted to rework into something a little sophisticated.

But it was one of the throw-away ideas that I included just to be finished with the assignment that stayed with me. I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then the professor (novelist John DeChancie) chimed in and basically said "That FTL thing has been done before, in one form or another, but this other idea has a lot of promise."

The other idea was simple. Instead of Scotty in the engine room, you have Merlin. Take a fairly traditional science fiction environment of fusion reactors, lasers, battle armor and nanobots, but throw in the wrinkle that FTL can only be accomplished through arcane means - magic. That's the central conceit of the story.

From there, ideas started come fast and furious. What kind of magic? What kind of wizards? What power source would be used? Who has this power, and how does it change the nature of politics, entitlement etc.

GREYSPACE is currently under consideration at Hodderscape as part of their Open Submission period. If that doesn't work out, I'll be launching a Kickstarter to see it through to publication sometime in 2016.