Casey
Casey asked Kate DiCamillo:

The Tale of Despereaux is by far one of my favorite books. It bothered me that the movie wasn't exactly like the book. Did that bother you and how much input do you have in regards to the movie?

Kate DiCamillo Hey Casey, most people when they read a book *see* the story in their head as they read. That is, we are all kind of watching our own personal movies. So, I think it is impossible for anybody to make a movie exactly like a book. The book is a personal experience. Does that make sense? I didn't have much to do with the making of The Tale of Despereaux. I was kind of looped in here and there. But for me, it was a wonderful experience, like someone constructing a dream based on my dream.
Kate DiCamillo