Goodreads asked Karen Docter:

Karen Docter I'm always inspired to write. Shaking the time free and descending into the zone? That's a horse of a different color! :)

When I want to sit down to write, though, I do have some routines that get me started. I get a fresh cup (or Kerr jar full of iced) coffee. Love my flavored coffee. Have a Keurig in my office so I don't have to get pulled too far from what I'm doing so that I get distracted by the dishes, vacuuming, dusting...well, you get the picture.

The next thing I do is pull up my Pandora stations. I have 11 different genre stations. Depending on my mood or what I need to inspire me to write a specific type of scene -- love scene, fight scene, etc. -- I fill my office with melody. No lyrics, please! Pulls me right out of what I'm doing...unless it's in Spanish or Italian. They don't bother me.

Once this is done, I'm able to slip into the writing "zone" a lot more quickly and remain there.