Goodreads asked Heidi Garrett:

Heidi Garrett Half Faerie, the first book in the Daughter of Light series will be released soon! Originally published in 2012 as two separate books, I'm excited to be releasing it in 2014 as it was originally envisioned. The story is inspired by three great loves of mine, the first being my grandma. When she passed I wanted to write a story about a young female character who develops a close emotional bond with an older female character who supports the younger character in becoming true to her self. The older character needed to be quite memorable, thus Flora, the spring faerie and one of the most well-loved characters in the series was born.

My husband is the second strong love influence in the book. We fell in love rather quickly. The element of Nandana's mark, and how it draws Melia and Ryder together, is symbolic of that profound and otherwise inexplicable experience.

At the end of every year we watch Peter Jackson's entire Lord of the Ring. That fantastical fight between good and evil, and the pure love between Aragorn and Arwen, is the third great love of mine that has been a tremendous influence on Daughter of Light.