A Goodreads user asked Chuck Wendig:

In one of your blog posts, you mention loving genre fiction, but what happens when you can't exactly point out what genre you're writing in? The novel I am writing contains elements of horror, fantasy(dark, urban, whichever one really), crime/mystery, and maybe even some historical fiction (some of the settings are based are the Victorian Era). How do you distinguish what you are writing?

Chuck Wendig I had this with BLACKBIRDS. I didn't choose a genre -- I just wrote the story as I had it and loosely elbowed it into a genre slot later. And the publisher chose an entirely *different* genre slot after that.

Genre is a moving target.

And it's a marketing designation that has little to do with proper storytelling.

So, tell the story you want to tell.
Chuck Wendig