Araceli Schlosser
Araceli Schlosser asked C.E. Murphy:

What inspired you to write Joanne Walker as a tough, confident woman who doesn't play up her sexuality to work in her advantage? As a reader, I find a lot of female protagonist that are either complaining about too much sexual attention or striving to get it. Thank you for making Joanne feminine, flawed, strong and vulnerable.

C.E. Murphy Oh, hn. Interesting question. The truth is that I never thought about playing up Jo's sexuality. The women I know don't, in general, do that, or if they do it's for a special occasion--like Joanne going out with her friend Phoebe, or dressing up for the dance concert--but using Feminine Wiles is simply not a part of who they generally are. I do not, nor do the women I hang with, expect to gain or lose anything by Being Sexy; we expect to be taken for who and what we are, which is people, not objects.

So I imagine Joanne comes straight out of that mindset. She simply wouldn't expect anyone to judge her for her sexiness; she expects to be judged for her competency at her job and in general as a human being. She certainly knows she's good at the one (being a mechanic) and in the course of the series she becomes better at the other (being a good human :)). So, yeah. That's why I wrote her that way. It's 'cause it's how I see the world. :)

What a great question! Thanks for asking! :)