Miguel
Miguel asked Elizabeth Fama:

Some YA book recommendations?

Elizabeth Fama Miguel! I almost forgot to answer this question!

Okay, so the first thing I ask people is whether they've read Megan Whalen Turner's QUEEN'S THIEF series (THE THIEF, THE QUEEN OF ATTOLIA, THE KING OF ATTOLIA, and A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS). These are my favorite YA novels of all time, and Megan is coming out with fifth soon, so if you haven't read them, I recommend binge-reading them, and I'm jealous that it will be your first time.

An adult novel that's great for people who love sophisticated YA is SONG OF ACHILLES by Madeline Miller.

Sophisticated YA that's published for YA: Margo Lanagan's THE BRIDES OF ROLLROCK ISLAND (published as SEA HEARTS in the U.K.). I kid online, but it's actually true: this was my favorite sea-folk novel of 2012.

Recent books I've loved:

Contemporary: PERFECTLY GOOD WHITE BOY by Carrie Mesrobian (unfortunately not available until October 1st, 2014, but keep your eye out for it).

Fantasy: CRUEL BEAUTY by Rosamund Hodge, THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski; A WOUNDED NAME by Dot Hutchison (this is a retelling of Hamlet from Ophelia's point of view, but since there are ghosts and eternal huntsmen and morgens [supernatural beings who live in water], it's also a bit paranormal).

Series: THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyer; THE RAVEN CYCLE by Maggie Stiefvater.

Most difficult/most rewarding adult book I've read recently: AS I LAY DYING by William Faulkner.

Book I'm devouring at the moment: A CREATURE OF MOONLIGHT by Rebecca Hahn (reminds me of Franny Billingsley's work).

Classic YA I recommend to everyone:

FEED by M.T. Anderson; PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ by A.S. King.; HIS DARK MATERIALS by Philip Pullman.