Adiana Ray
Adiana Ray asked Liane Moriarty:

Hi, I read The Husband's Secret and absolutely loved it, however would like to know your thinking on bringing Tess into the story. I did find her character and the story very interesting however I somehow felt it did not have that much relevance to the plot of this book. We discussed this in our book club and we all felt the same way. Interested to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Liane Moriarty I don't know how I could have done it without Tess! I needed Tess so that Connor ignored Polly and was crossing the road, I needed Tess so that Connor appeared happy, thereby infuriating Rachel, thereby causing her to put her foot on the accelerator, I needed Tess as an impartial observer who could show us Cecilia and Rachel through her eyes. She was essential! please don't make me write it without Tess. (If my editor had suggested this I would have cried...)
Liane Moriarty